p r o m .

TinyDinos    

So my school is having a prom. The last time I went to a school dance was in 8th grade (~3 yrs ago) and I was working the whole time because I was the president of the school and therefore was in charge of putting together and overseeing the dance itself. Now this dance is a big dance. And it’s a dance for homeschoolers, like me. Seeing other teenagers in person is ridiculously awkward enough in and of itself, but make them all socially awkward and well you just created the perfect recipe for my own personal circle of hell :)

HOWEVER-

My mom really wants me to go, and she says it’ll be really good for me. I feel bad because I’m really not excited. I feel like every girl would jump at the opportunity to get dolled up and go to prom, but it just doesn’t do that for me. Nobody’s gonna ask me, and I don’t have a crush on anyone so it’s not like I wanna ask someone I like out. I feel like I’m missing this huge milestone that everyone else is excited about and I’m just not. 

My mom suggested that I go with my kinda friend that I was super close to in 8th grade. He admittedly had a crush on me but he was respectful of my priority being school and just overall not really being interested in dating in general. I thought I liked him too, but it turns out I really just wanted to stay best friends even after we went to high school. We were still really really REALLY close friends throughout 9th grade, and kinda fell out of touch in 10th forward. We still talk occasionally but not nearly as much as we used to. My parents would tease us relentlessly and I think that’s why my mom wants me to go with him. I told her that it’d be weird if I just texted him out of the blue asking him to prom and the implications would be weird and all of that. She simply didn’t understand how that’d be weird. I also tried to explain to her just how anxious even thinking about being at a big party full of teenagers makes me, and how I’m not as social as I used to be, but she didn’t understand that either.

After rationalizing that id probably have a great time after I get there and that my friend would be really laid back and chill, I wound up texting my guy friend and catching up, and I casually mentioned that there was prom for my school coming up and that I was thinking about going. I told him that he’d be my first pick if I decided to go after all, and he took it really well and said to keep him posted. I still don’t know if I want to go, but I really feel like I have to and if I don’t then I’m depriving my mom of the experience of going prom shopping and stuff with me because she really wants to.

I think it’s pretty cool though that if I go I get to go with my guy friend. He’s really cool, and I really miss him. We used to watch Marvel movies together and he gave the best hugs and cuddles because he’s really tall (6”6) and I’m really short (5”1)  and he honestly knows so much about me i just feel so calm when I’m with him. I know we’ll just pick up where we left off as if we never stopped talking just like always. He told me he was thinking of me and hoped I’d text so he could put my contact back in since he got a new phone and he’s just overall really sweet. I really love being around him and I know I’m gonna have a good time if I go with him. He’s seriously my best friend. ❤️
Plus, every school dance I’ve ever been to, he was my date, so we’d kinda get to keep up our tradition of going as friends and it’s kinda cool. 

I really just don’t know whether to go or not. On one hand I’d love to go with my friend because we’ll have lots of fun as usual, but thinking about being in a large room with a bunch of teenagers makes me tired and I haven’t even said I’m gonna go yet. Plus there’ll be d a n c i n g. And Dino can’t dance y’all. 

what should I do???

On 1/31/2023 at 5:49 AM, TinyDinos said:

So my school is having a prom. The last time I went to a school dance was in 8th grade (~3 yrs ago) and I was working the whole time because I was the president of the school and therefore was in charge of putting together and overseeing the dance itself. Now this dance is a big dance. And it’s a dance for homeschoolers, like me. Seeing other teenagers in person is ridiculously awkward enough in and of itself, but make them all socially awkward and well you just created the perfect recipe for my own personal circle of hell :)

HOWEVER-

My mom really wants me to go, and she says it’ll be really good for me. I feel bad because I’m really not excited. I feel like every girl would jump at the opportunity to get dolled up and go to prom, but it just doesn’t do that for me. Nobody’s gonna ask me, and I don’t have a crush on anyone so it’s not like I wanna ask someone I like out. I feel like I’m missing this huge milestone that everyone else is excited about and I’m just not. 

My mom suggested that I go with my kinda friend that I was super close to in 8th grade. He admittedly had a crush on me but he was respectful of my priority being school and just overall not really being interested in dating in general. I thought I liked him too, but it turns out I really just wanted to stay best friends even after we went to high school. We were still really really REALLY close friends throughout 9th grade, and kinda fell out of touch in 10th forward. We still talk occasionally but not nearly as much as we used to. My parents would tease us relentlessly and I think that’s why my mom wants me to go with him. I told her that it’d be weird if I just texted him out of the blue asking him to prom and the implications would be weird and all of that. She simply didn’t understand how that’d be weird. I also tried to explain to her just how anxious even thinking about being at a big party full of teenagers makes me, and how I’m not as social as I used to be, but she didn’t understand that either.

After rationalizing that id probably have a great time after I get there and that my friend would be really laid back and chill, I wound up texting my guy friend and catching up, and I casually mentioned that there was prom for my school coming up and that I was thinking about going. I told him that he’d be my first pick if I decided to go after all, and he took it really well and said to keep him posted. I still don’t know if I want to go, but I really feel like I have to and if I don’t then I’m depriving my mom of the experience of going prom shopping and stuff with me because she really wants to.

I think it’s pretty cool though that if I go I get to go with my guy friend. He’s really cool, and I really miss him. We used to watch Marvel movies together and he gave the best hugs and cuddles because he’s really tall (6”6) and I’m really short (5”1)  and he honestly knows so much about me i just feel so calm when I’m with him. I know we’ll just pick up where we left off as if we never stopped talking just like always. He told me he was thinking of me and hoped I’d text so he could put my contact back in since he got a new phone and he’s just overall really sweet. I really love being around him and I know I’m gonna have a good time if I go with him. He’s seriously my best friend. ❤️
Plus, every school dance I’ve ever been to, he was my date, so we’d kinda get to keep up our tradition of going as friends and it’s kinda cool. 

I really just don’t know whether to go or not. On one hand I’d love to go with my friend because we’ll have lots of fun as usual, but thinking about being in a large room with a bunch of teenagers makes me tired and I haven’t even said I’m gonna go yet. Plus there’ll be d a n c i n g. And Dino can’t dance y’all. 

what should I do???

Weeeeeeeeeell..... it is always good to push yourself to try new things. I PERSONALLY think that if you went with your guy friend It'd give you guys a chance to re-connect! I'm also sensing a lot of chemisty between you two (hehehehehheehheheheh). Soooooooo..... I think you should as him to go with you and you should go! You never know, it may be fun! And even if you go and it's not fun, at least you'll have your friend to be with you and cheer you up right? It's the perfect opportunity, like you said, to reconnect. So take it and see how it goes! There's always the risk of it going horribly, but what's that next to what could possibly be gained, right??? I'm also sensing he may still like you. Like, there are some lingering feelings. Girl, this is your chance! TAKE IT! Even if you don't want to be with him romantically, I'm sure he would LOVE to go with you! And I'm sure your mom would love it too. (Hehehehehehhehe). You have an opportunity to get closer with him again. And honestly, enough about the boy, I think you'd have a great time. You should at least seriously consider going. If I could go to my school's prom this year, I would. It's a great chance for you to try and get over your fear of large groups of teenagers (it sounds funny when I say it like that doesn't it? But then again it always helps to dab some humor on a situation.) So just to re-cap. I, personally, think you should go. Shall I make a list of pros and cons? Yes. I think I shall. Just to further prove my point. 

POSSIBLE! Pros: (I can't predict the future)

-You get your guy BFF back

-You have a great time

-Your moms happy

-You're happy

POSSIBLE! Cons:

-It's not that fun, but there's like a 90% chance yr guy friend says yes if you ask him, so he'll be there for you

-you get rejected by your guy friend, which based on everything I read above, is HIGHLY unlikely. 

-You don't have your guy friend bec he rejected you to go to prom (but it's highly unlikely) and it goes bad. (Highly unlikely)

So idk in the end the choice is yours. But personally, I think you should go. And I will help you go dress (or suit) shopping, just say the word and I will start googling on amazon. :)

• Like 1
  • Hug 1

2 minutes ago, Madeleine_357 said:

Weeeeeeeeeell..... it is always good to push yourself to try new things. I PERSONALLY think that if you went with your guy friend It'd give you guys a chance to re-connect! I'm also sensing a lot of chemisty between you two (hehehehehheehheheheh). Soooooooo..... I think you should as him to go with you and you should go! You never know, it may be fun! And even if you go and it's not fun, at least you'll have your friend to be with you and cheer you up right? It's the perfect opportunity, like you said, to reconnect. So take it and see how it goes! There's always the risk of it going horribly, but what's that next to what could possibly be gained, right??? I'm also sensing he may still like you. Like, there are some lingering feelings. Girl, this is your chance! TAKE IT! Even if you don't want to be with him romantically, I'm sure he would LOVE to go with you! And I'm sure your mom would love it too. (Hehehehehehhehe). You have an opportunity to get closer with him again. And honestly, enough about the boy, I think you'd have a great time. You should at least seriously consider going. If I could go to my school's prom this year, I would. It's a great chance for you to try and get over your fear of large groups of teenagers (it sounds funny when I say it like that doesn't it? But then again it always helps to dab some humor on a situation.) So just to re-cap. I, personally, think you should go. Shall I make a list of pros and cons? Yes. I think I shall. Just to further prove my point. 

POSSIBLE! Pros: (I can't predict the future)

-You get your guy BFF back

-You have a great time

-Your moms happy

-You're happy

POSSIBLE! Cons:

-It's not that fun, but there's like a 90% chance yr guy friend says yes if you ask him, so he'll be there for you

-you get rejected by your guy friend, which based on everything I read above, is HIGHLY unlikely. 

-You don't have your guy friend bec he rejected you to go to prom (but it's highly unlikely) and it goes bad. (Highly unlikely)

So idk in the end the choice is yours. But personally, I think you should go. And I will help you go dress (or suit) shopping, just say the word and I will start googling on amazon. :)

Honestly this makes me feel a lot better about it. You definitely made me smile at my screen hahaha. I decided to keep thinking about it, and by Monday next week I’ll decide for sure (the dance is in like, 2 months or so.) My aunt is a professional hairstylist and cosmetologist and she said she’d do my hair and makeup if I wanted so I’m considering that. I’m personally not a makeup girl but I like coloring my hair so she made a pretty convincing argument :) Plus her and my mom are all over dress shopping haha. Like I said, I’m still thinking.

As for my guy friend, he said he’ll go with me if I’m going, just to let him know when/if I decide to, and if not we should still hang out soon. He ALSO mentioned that he’s gone to maybe two dances since our last one together, but it was “with other guys from my football team. It’d be nice to go with you again :)” That was his exact text 🥰. He was telling me that it’s okay if I wanted to with a group of friends bc I told him how nervous I was. He’s seriously the best, and the last time I saw him in person was for my birthday (December) the year before last so I really miss him.

Im honestly starting to think that im gonna wind up going 💕

• Like 1
  • Yaaas 1

11 minutes ago, TinyDinos said:

Honestly this makes me feel a lot better about it. You definitely made me smile at my screen hahaha. I decided to keep thinking about it, and by Monday next week I’ll decide for sure (the dance is in like, 2 months or so.) My aunt is a professional hairstylist and cosmetologist and she said she’d do my hair and makeup if I wanted so I’m considering that. I’m personally not a makeup girl but I like coloring my hair so she made a pretty convincing argument :) Plus her and my mom are all over dress shopping haha. Like I said, I’m still thinking.

As for my guy friend, he said he’ll go with me if I’m going, just to let him know when/if I decide to, and if not we should still hang out soon. He ALSO mentioned that he’s gone to maybe two dances since our last one together, but it was “with other guys from my football team. It’d be nice to go with you again :)” That was his exact text 🥰. He was telling me that it’s okay if I wanted to with a group of friends bc I told him how nervous I was. He’s seriously the best, and the last time I saw him in person was for my birthday (December) the year before last so I really miss him.

Im honestly starting to think that im gonna wind up going 💕

Hehehehhehehe that's such a sweet text. He's a keeper that's for sure. Well I hope you decide to go! Can't wait to hear what you decide and glad this helped. :D

• 1 month later...

OKAY GUYS HERES THE NEW DEAL.

I KINDA BOUGHT PROM TICKETS

AND ASKED MY PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED GUY FRIEND TO GO W ME

AND HE SAID YES.

@Madeleine_357 IM GOING TO PROM GIRL

4 hours ago, TinyTurtles said:

OKAY GUYS HERES THE NEW DEAL.

I KINDA BOUGHT PROM TICKETS

AND ASKED MY PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED GUY FRIEND TO GO W ME

AND HE SAID YES.

@Madeleine_357 IM GOING TO PROM GIRL

YES! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Y E S! WHEN IS PROM OMG WHEN IS IT!

3 hours ago, Madeleine_357 said:

YES! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Y E S! WHEN IS PROM OMG WHEN IS IT!

APRIL 21 

IT ISNT THAT FAR AWAY AND IM KINDA FREAKIN OUT

19 hours ago, TinyTurtles said:

APRIL 21 

IT ISNT THAT FAR AWAY AND IM KINDA FREAKIN OUT

WHAT ARE YOU WEARING HAVE YOU FIGURED IT OUT YET? DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA? Also oooo my semi formals in april! <3

5 hours ago, Madeleine_357 said:

WHAT ARE YOU WEARING HAVE YOU FIGURED IT OUT YET? DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA? Also oooo my semi formals in april! <3

NOPE NOT YET. I DONT DO SOCIAL STUFF THAT OFTEN, LET ALONE GET DOLLED UP, BUT IM KINDA ANXIOUS AND LOW KEY EXCITED.

ALSO SLAYYYYYYYYYYY!!! YOURE GONNA HAVE SO MUCH FUN AND YOURE GONNA LOOK STUNNING 🤩 

On 3/12/2023 at 3:24 AM, TinyTurtles said:

NOPE NOT YET. I DONT DO SOCIAL STUFF THAT OFTEN, LET ALONE GET DOLLED UP, BUT IM KINDA ANXIOUS AND LOW KEY EXCITED.

ALSO SLAYYYYYYYYYYY!!! YOURE GONNA HAVE SO MUCH FUN AND YOURE GONNA LOOK STUNNING 🤩 

I'M SURE YOU ARE EXCITED! I'M EXCITED FOR YOU! AND AWWWWWW TYSM! <3 LMK WHEN YOU GET AN IDEA SO I CAN HELP YOU LOOK! :D