How do I come out to my homophobic parents

Kayla D    

How do I come out to my religious and homophobic family. Every time they see a member of the LGBTQ+ community outside  in public they make fun and they laugh and stare. I'm scared to tell them does being bisexual make me a bad person? when I die do I go to hell?  should I tell them when I move out.

• Pride 1

• Digital Mentor
14 hours ago, Kayla D said:

How do I come out to my religious and homophobic family. Every time they see a member of the LGBTQ+ community outside  in public they make fun and they laugh and stare. I'm scared to tell them does being bisexual make me a bad person? when I die do I go to hell?  should I tell them when I move out.

Hi @Kayla D, I noticed that you are new here and I wanted to welcome you to Ditch the Label. It's great to have you here 🙂. I'm Aurora and I am one of the support mentors here.

I'm really glad you found us. This is a really welcoming community and there are lots of others here who have had similar experiences to you. I'm sorry to hear that your family has homophobic views and make fun of the LGBTQ+ community. I would imagine that is a lot for you to deal with! And I'm wondering if this might have influenced the way you think about yourself. What do you think? I noticed that you were asking if being bisexual makes you a bad person and if you will go to hell. It sounds to me like you don't feel comfortable with your sexuality. Is that right? 

Please know that we are here for you!

Staff-Account.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, Kayla D said:

Hi!, I am going through the same thing you are with my parents but if you think it will ge you kicked out or anything like that don't tell them. Being Bisexual or gay or anything like that does not make you a bad person and you won't go to hell. I will say that before you tell you parents (if you do) make sure you know you are bisexual. Also if you can do you have any friends who know that you are bi or who you can trust to tell so when you tell your parents you have outside suport.

hey kayla! you honestly sound exactly like me, i'm currently going thru a very similar situation, and honestly wonder the same things. bc my family is so religious, i try to look at it from how they would see it: about god. if god didn't want to make gay or bisexual people, we wouldn't be here, and there would only be straight people. but, here we are! i think god is up there rooting for us, regardless of who we love, because we're loving regardless of who others are. also, when did god or jesus say that gay people went to hell? those are just the thoughts of some pope who wasn't inclusive or kind to people who are different! i am personally waiting until i come out to my whole family (only a few people know), so that i can take more time and figure out how i feel and the best way to express that. you don't have to feel rushed, just wait for the right moment, when you're at peace with your feelings, and chances are, even if their initial reaction isn't great, eventually they will try to accept you as much as they can, because their love for you will be stronger than their homophobic feelings! best of luck, and you'll do great!😘

Edited by vi6

On 1/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, Kayla D said:

Hi, I'm Catsup, one of the support mentors and I hope you don't mind me joining the conversation!  I think everyone has made great points about self-acceptance and knowing that there is nothing at all wrong with you.  You are absolutely okay and amazing as you are, and the homophobia you are dealing with is something many people struggle with.  Some people do wait until they move out of the house to come out to their family, but others come out earlier.  It can depend on the situation and what will make life better for you.

How do you think your family would react if you told them you were bisexual?

Staff-Account.png