Fear of coming out to parents..

sabajhr    

Hello everyone, I'm Saba and I'm a 16 years old girl who is also bi. considering my situation i don't know how to come out to my homophobic parents. There is also another problem, I'm also Muslim and my ''sexual status'' isn't really accepted by my culture. At this point, I don't know what to do anymore.

Hey Saba,

Thanks for coming to us. You are not alone, and we can help :)

Sorry to hear about your homophobic parents, how are you feeling about this? There are many reasons as to why people are homophobic. Those views often come down to upbringing, religion etc. and may not actually represent what those people feel, but it could just be the 'normal' thing for them to do. Here is an article which helps explain this more:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/my-parents-didnt-react-well-to-me-coming-out/

Do you think it could be worth waiting until you're independent from your parents before coming out? If you decide to do it before then, it might be a good idea to arrange to stay with someone else after you tell them. With them being homophobic, they might react negatively and it's may be a good idea to have time apart after it. Although, it's important to be patient when you've told them. It can take them time to come around to the idea, and it's essential to know this and just ride it through.

Here is another article you may find useful:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/coming-out-homophobic-parents/

I hope you find this advice helpful. If not, we can come up with something else.

Sending positive vibes - Monsoon :)

P.S. Have you came out to anyone yet?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e