sleeping stuff

emnma Β  Β 

does anybody else have trouble finding the motivation to actually fall asleep? like ill be in bed and comfy and be surfing the internet all night instead of sleeping. idk if its because i have no sense of self preservation but its really messing with my sleep schedule and ive almost missed school several times and im starting to get sunken eyes and idk what to do

• Digital Mentor
14 hours ago, emnma said:

does anybody else have trouble finding the motivation to actually fall asleep? like ill be in bed and comfy and be surfing the internet all night instead of sleeping. idk if its because i have no sense of self preservation but its really messing with my sleep schedule and ive almost missed school several times and im starting to get sunken eyes and idk what to do

Heyy @emnma, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.Β 

I totally hear you, it can be difficult to fall asleep. I see that you've mentioned about surfing the internet all night, do you think you'd like to try and keep your phone away from the bed on perhaps a table in your room and switching off the wifi option or maybe putting it on silent apart from emergency contacts and alarm might work?Β  Having a dark environment and having an unwinding routine 30 mins before bed might be useful too, but let's take one step at a time.Β 

Staff-Account.png

7 hours ago, Luie said:

Heyy @emnma, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.Β 

I totally hear you, it can be difficult to fall asleep. I see that you've mentioned about surfing the internet all night, do you think you'd like to try and keep your phone away from the bed on perhaps a table in your room and switching off the wifi option or maybe putting it on silent apart from emergency contacts and alarm might work?Β  Having a dark environment and having an unwinding routine 30 mins before bed might be useful too, but let's take one step at a time.Β 

I normally have it on silent, but ill still end up reaching for it after laying in bed for a bit. Ill start keeping it away from my bed and see if that helps

• Digital Mentor
6 hours ago, emnma said:

I normally have it on silent, but ill still end up reaching for it after laying in bed for a bit. Ill start keeping it away from my bed and see if that helps

Glad to hear you're open to receiving suggestions and trying it out πŸ™‚ Do give it a go for a week or more and see if it is helpful, if not do let me know and we can try a few other things too. I did wanna ask you two things;

1. What's you unwinding night routine like (basically how do you spend the last hour before bed)?Β 
  2. And I want to check with you if you're having any active stressors regarding personal or school life that might be playing onΒ your mind throughout the day?

Staff-Account.png

i try to keep my phone in another room and also not use it before bed. maybe if you focus on different stuff before bed like getting ready for tomorrow or reading you'll find it easier to fall asleep?

• Like 1

I normally do skincare and read for a bit before going to sleep

exams are really stressing me out rn just because of the courses im taking this semester

• Digital Mentor
On 12/29/2022 at 2:43 PM, emnma said:

I normally do skincare and read for a bit before going to sleep

exams are really stressing me out rn just because of the courses im taking this semester

Heyy @emnma,Β 

Skincare and reading is great before heading to bed, it allows to slow down and unwind. Exams can surely be stressful, and stress can definitely have an impact on sleep too. Are there things you're doing for yourself during this exam season to help with the exam pressure?Β 

Staff-Account.png

5 hours ago, Luie said:

Heyy @emnma,Β 

Skincare and reading is great before heading to bed, it allows to slow down and unwind. Exams can surely be stressful, and stress can definitely have an impact on sleep too. Are there things you're doing for yourself during this exam season to help with the exam pressure?Β 

not really, ive been studying and eating on a loop during the break but thats it cuz everything else is just stressful

• Digital Mentor
On 1/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, emnma said:

not really, ive been studying and eating on a loop during the break but thats it cuz everything else is just stressful

That's fair, it definitely is stressful during the exam season. I see you spoke about eating and studying on a loop, I wanted to add that eating late meals because you have been studying all day will alter your internal clock and impair sleep. Although you should try not to go to bed hungry, try to have a big dinner before 7pm and then a smaller snack in the evening if you are still hungry. It’s thought that certain foods help sleep; milk, bananas, and walnuts all contain tryptophan, which the body uses to make melatonin (don't worry too much about these hormones, just know they are sleep ones which you need). Β I am going to list a few things that might be helpful.

Β 

What to eat during exams (Rough guide - These are things I've done during my exam time in school and university which was helpful):

1. Eat proper meals: Meals with slow release carbohydrates will help fuel your revision. If you study during the day, make sure you have a good breakfast and lunch. If you’re a night owl, make sure you have a good lunch and dinner.

2. Keep hydrated: Drink plenty of fluid. Go for plain water mainly, with the occasional diluted fruit juice or squash.

3. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables: Use fruit and veg as a healthy snack instead of crisps, chocolate or fizzy drinks.Β 

4. Watch your coffee intake: Caffeine acts as a stimulant and may aid concentration in small doses (the equivalent of one to two cups) but overdoing the caffeine will dehydrate you, can cause palpitations and may disturb your sleep.Β 

5. Try to avoid energy drinks: High-sugar, high-caffeine drinks may appear to give you an instant buzz but are a poor substitute for proper food and fluid.Β 

6. Avoid too many β€˜treats’: Don’t overindulge on fatty foods, sugary snacks (crisps and chocolate) or fizzy drinks. Rather try opting for a combination e.g. your favourite crisps with some veggies and hummus on the side so you feel fullerΒ 

Pease do let me know if it's something you'd like to give a go?Β 

Β 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

I know I definitely have trouble sleeping and I think I might have insomnia. maybe you have that? it could be something different too though.

• Like 1