Spy

Spy    

I am surrounded by people who are very homophobic or at least uncomfortable with LGBTQ. I think that I might be bi. I have always been found both same and different gender ppl attractive, but I got the first I would just say 'hey, I can recognize beauty in people who are the same gender as me! It doesn't mean anything'... But lately I've been questioning that. It started as realizing that I would be open to relationships with same gender ppl to wondering if I'm bi. What made me start wondering was talking to a friend about a book she was reading with gay ppl in it (she is one of the few ppl who is not homophobic in our environment). She commented on a passage that stuck out her as gay and when I read it I laughed and said that I noticed things like that about both genders all the time. The she laughed and told me I might be bi. This was a few days ago, but it wasn't until now that I was like 'oh. I might be bi'

So I guess my question is how do I know if I'm bi and how do I deal with such a harsh community if I am?

mmm. if you dont mind being in an intimate relationship with both opposite or same gender then youre probably mspec; but it still depends on whether you feel attraction to both genders or not. have you ever had a crush toward your same gender? have you ever had a crush toward your opposite gender too? if you said yes for both then you are almost definitely bi. if youre still not sure then i recommend staying unlabeled for now because self discovery takes time

to deal with the harsh community all you can do is not mention lgbtq around them. avoid coming out or being outed or else you will get targeted. try your best to not care about all the bigotry but when it does get out of hand talk to your friend that you brought up; ranting always clears up ones mind imo

Monsoon
This post was recognized by Monsoon!

"Really kind and supportive post, thank you."

peanutbutterstruggles was awarded the badge 'Act of Kindness'

sounds like you might be bi, however you should take your time to figure it out. observe how you feel towards people of different genders, if you'd like to date them etc. you can look into different multigender attraction labels to see if any of them feel like you (although i don't recommend taking labels too seriously - there's a lot of contradicting info on the internet, and in the end, it doesn't really matter as long as you feel comfortable. you might feel more uncomfortable staying unlabeled for a while and that's normal <3) 

being in an unaccepting environment is really hard, i'm sorry you have to go through that :/ you should focus on connecting with the people who are accepting (like your friend for example!) and avoid bringing up lgbt+ subjects with queerphobic people if it's unsafe. remember, your safety is the priority. maybe find lgbt+ safe spaces online? you're always welcome here on DTL!