I don't know what to do with my life...

Overthinker22 Β  Β 

Science Or History/Phycology?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What Major?

• Science (any except Bio)
    • History/Phycology

So here's the thing, I'm a student that doesn't know what field of work she wants to go into. Ok that's kind of a lie but not really. I know I want to go into teaching but recently I've really started to love history. All my life I've loved science and wanted to teach it. But when I entered this year of school I've started to dread this class. It sucks because I still like science but not as much as I used to. It could also be that I dislike the teacher but idk. what should I do?

5 hours ago, Overthinker22 said:

So here's the thing, I'm a student that doesn't know what field of work she wants to go into. Ok that's kind of a lie but not really. I know I want to go into teaching but recently I've really started to love history. All my life I've loved science and wanted to teach it. But when I entered this year of school I've started to dread this class. It sucks because I still like science but not as much as I used to. It could also be that I dislike the teacher but idk. what should I do?

Hmmmm, you wanna go into teaching yet your starting to dread science & starting to love history, well I mean it sounds like you may just not like the type of science your learning right at the moment. you could teach maybe younger classes? You also could try to teach both if your liking both of em

• Like 2

• Digital Mentor
On 11/21/2022 at 2:55 PM, Overthinker22 said:

Heyy @Overthinker22,Β 

@_Kai_Β has made a good suggestion about maybe thinking of teaching smaller grades later on.

I have never been a teacher myself however, I have been a student multiple times throughout my life and something that keeps me going in classes to learn is when I can exchange energy with the teacher on that particular subject. I do believe that great teachers are passionate about the subject they teach and hence make it an enjoyable experience for the students. So, I can't tell you what subject to pick, but I can say that whatever you do, make sure it's something you are interested in learning long term. Teaching is a noble profession as you are influencing the minds of the future, so kudos for wanting to choose this field.Β 

What I understand is that you're a student right now, so do you have the luxury of trying out different subjects before choosing one or is it like a college course that you're already in?Β 

Staff-Account.png

9 hours ago, Luie said:

Heyy @Overthinker22,Β 

@_Kai_Β has made a good suggestion about maybe thinking of teaching smaller grades later on.

I have never been a teacher myself however, I have been a student multiple times throughout my life and something that keeps me going in classes to learn is when I can exchange energy with the teacher on that particular subject. I do believe that great teachers are passionate about the subject they teach and hence make it an enjoyable experience for the students. So, I can't tell you what subject to pick, but I can say that whatever you do, make sure it's something you are interested in learning long term. Teaching is a noble profession as you are influencing the minds of the future, so kudos for wanting to choose this field.Β 

What I understand is that you're a student right now, so do you have the luxury of trying out different subjects before choosing one or is it like a college course that you're already in?Β 

I'm currently in High school. I was looking to get a degree in secondary education (8-12) because i work better with older kids than I do younger ones.Β Β 

• Digital Mentor
11 hours ago, Overthinker22 said:

I'm currently in High school. I was looking to get a degree in secondary education (8-12) because i work better with older kids than I do younger ones.Β Β 

That sounds good @Overthinker22, what are your current subjects at school?

Staff-Account.png

7 hours ago, Luie said:

That sounds good @Overthinker22, what are your current subjects at school?

English 2H, US history, ASL 2, Algebra 2H, Chem and Health/intro to weight trainingΒ 

• Digital Mentor
On 11/25/2022 at 1:59 AM, Overthinker22 said:

English 2H, US history, ASL 2, Algebra 2H, Chem and Health/intro to weight trainingΒ 

These subjects do sound good, I know who to come to if I need some weight lifting adviceΒ πŸ€ͺ

I was thinking about what you had mentioned about history and how you'd like to be in teaching for secondary school , are there any opportunities during your upcoming winter or even the next spring break to do some volunteer work for schools or study centres to gain some insight into how a day looks like for a secondary school teacher? Also, you can maybe reach out to the school counsellor and request for some shadowing after school hours if possible or have a chat with someone a few years ahead in this field so you can understand the pathway a bit better. Would this be helpful for you?Β 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

16 hours ago, Luie said:

These subjects do sound good, I know who to come to if I need some weight lifting adviceΒ πŸ€ͺ

I was thinking about what you had mentioned about history and how you'd like to be in teaching for secondary school , are there any opportunities during your upcoming winter or even the next spring break to do some volunteer work for schools or study centres to gain some insight into how a day looks like for a secondary school teacher? Also, you can maybe reach out to the school counsellor and request for some shadowing after school hours if possible or have a chat with someone a few years ahead in this field so you can understand the pathway a bit better. Would this be helpful for you?Β 

that is a good idea... One of the upper class mn taught one of my classes once so i wonder if i could do that... thank you for the advice!!

• Digital Mentor
13 hours ago, Overthinker22 said:

that is a good idea... One of the upper class mn taught one of my classes once so i wonder if i could do that... thank you for the advice!!

Anytime! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you, good luck @Overthinker22 😊

Staff-Account.png