Trichotillomania Awareness & Questions

_Kai_ Β  Β 

So as you may have read the title, this topic is for spreading awareness for Trichotillomania, its a hair pulling disorder commonly associated with people with OCD & Anxiety. It is most caused by anxiety and/or stress, there is no cure for this disorder but it can be managed. Therapy may help in some cases, but you should NEVER say these things to a person who may have it, as it can cause insecurity and/or more anxiety: "Why don't you just stop?", "Stop covering the bald spots so you can actually see the damage", and "It's just a bad habit". Avoid making judgement or assumptions, also if your trying to help the person than you can offer them a stress ball, fidget toy, or even emotional support & encouragement. Coming from a person who has it, try to not draw so much attention to it, even if they're doing really well with not pulling, just keep the proudness to yourself because it can cause them to worry that its actually that visible.Β 

Is there any questions anyone would like to ask? Either about the disorder its self, or even how life is with it?

• Like 2
  • Hug 1

• 3 months later...

I'm so sorry. I used to have it too. What helped me, out of all the the things, was a pen. Just clicking it was so satisfying, it took my mind off it.

• Hug 1

On 2/22/2023 at 4:24 PM, Cinnamoroll_iwritebooks said:

I'm so sorry. I used to have it too. What helped me, out of all the the things, was a pen. Just clicking it was so satisfying, it took my mind off it.

I'll try keeping a pen around me just in case, thank you for the tip! ^^

• 7 months later...

Hey! does this include pulling out eyelash hair? I'm not sure if that's the same thing but recently I've developed a habit of pulling out my lashes and I don't know what the cause is or if its even related. It may just be a random habit I picked up but I thought id ask! :)

On 10/17/2023 at 12:43 AM, ribboness said:

Hey! does this include pulling out eyelash hair? I'm not sure if that's the same thing but recently I've developed a habit of pulling out my lashes and I don't know what the cause is or if its even related. It may just be a random habit I picked up but I thought id ask! :)

Hey there, I'm Catsup a support mentor, and I thought I would jump in to see if I can help you figure this out too.Β  Are you struggling with any anxiety symptoms besides the eyelash pulling? And is the eyelash pulling painful, or being done excessively in your opinion?Β  Sometimes we do have random habits, but other times there is a mental health reason behind it.Β  Has anyone shown concern about your eyelash pulling?

Looking over the overall picture of your physical and mental health might help you determine if this is a problem.Β  Looking forward to hearing from you!

Staff-Account.png

Hey! I'm not completely sure what other symptoms of anxiety are but I don't think that it's painful but it seems excessive to me. Sometimes I'll be pulling out 3 at a time and it's a habit I want to stop lol. No one really has shown concern given that no one knows or has noticed really. Some possible symptoms (or just habits) are that I cant sit still so either I'm be swinging my chair or swaying my legs. Its also hard for me to focus when I want to work and that may be a lack of motivation or something but I do want to get the word sone I just find it hard to do it even when its simple work. I cant think of any other ones but I hope this helps

8 hours ago, ribboness said:

Hey! I'm not completely sure what other symptoms of anxiety are but I don't think that it's painful but it seems excessive to me. Sometimes I'll be pulling out 3 at a time and it's a habit I want to stop lol. No one really has shown concern given that no one knows or has noticed really. Some possible symptoms (or just habits) are that I cant sit still so either I'm be swinging my chair or swaying my legs. Its also hard for me to focus when I want to work and that may be a lack of motivation or something but I do want to get the word sone I just find it hard to do it even when its simple work. I cant think of any other ones but I hope this helps

Hi there, in terms of anxiety symptoms, do you find you are worrying a lot to the point it's negatively affecting you and your life? Or do you have moments where you might be overwhelmed with racing heart and other symptoms like that (sometimes can be panic attacks)?Β  Do you feel like you can't manage your stress?Β  These could all suggest an anxiety problem, although there are more symptoms than that such as trouble eating, sleeping, or having otherwise unexplained physical complaints.

If you are at all concerned about having anxiety, I would recommend talking to your doctor and also your parents if you're comfortable.

In terms of pulling your lashes and wanting to stop, do you think it's possible you're just trying to keep your hands busy?Β  Sometimes people pick up other things like knitting, doodling, or fidget toys to keep their hands doing something.Β  What do you think of this idea?

Finally, since you mentioned struggles staying still or doing work, do you think it's trouble focusing?Β  And how long has this problem been going on?

Thank you for sharing some more details of what's going on and feel free to respond to whatever questions feel relevant for you.Β  Take care for now!

Β 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

Hello! I don'y6 mind talk to my parents about it at all! I think your right and I just need to keep my hand busy bc I do tend to doodle or things of the sort. I don't really feel any of those symptoms, I feel like I can manage my stress pretty well. I used to have panic attacks but they happen a lot less frequently now. I do think its just trouble focusing and I've has this issue for years when it comes to doing a boring task like homework.Β 

6 hours ago, ribboness said:

Hello! I don'y6 mind talk to my parents about it at all! I think your right and I just need to keep my hand busy bc I do tend to doodle or things of the sort. I don't really feel any of those symptoms, I feel like I can manage my stress pretty well. I used to have panic attacks but they happen a lot less frequently now. I do think its just trouble focusing and I've has this issue for years when it comes to doing a boring task like homework.Β 

Is it oki if i give some ideas you could do to try distract yourself and by giving your hand something to do? do you lik figet toys? there are different types, there is also slime/putty you could buy from a toy shop that will sell fidgt toys. putty is not as slimy as slime, but I like poppets. have you hard of them? I have one, they're so so good!

Not sure where you're from, but here in england you can get them online like Amazon, or any shop that sells toys. I know this isn't good advice, but I thought I'd try support you <<3 f you need any more suport, please please reach out to me by @ ing me, or by tagging @Digital MentorΒ much love to you <3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=fidget+poppwr&crid=3N9UNLTQFINFM&sprefix=poppw%2Caps%2C123&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_5

Β 

here is a link to a picture on Amazon, much love to you <3

• Like 2

also just thought, if you're at school or college etc. you should be able to get a fidget toy for free, you'll just have to ask. I had like a counsellor at school who gave me a fidget toy to calm myself when in class. just a thought :)Β 

Edited by Megs-
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ribboness said:

That's great that you have the relationship with your parents that you can be open with them, and that stress is not a big problem for you right now.Β  Those sound like really positive things, and the fact you already tend to doodle shows you probably already have some ideas for keeping your hands busy.

It does sound like homework and focus are a real challenge.Β  There are different conditions (the first one I think of is ADHD), that can affect your focus.Β  Since you would need a diagnosis to know for sure, is it of any interest to consult with a professional about this possibility?Β  Either way is totally your decision, but I figured I would throw that out there since it sounds like a real struggle and you definitely don't need to feel like this it's something treatable. :)

Staff-Account.png

Thank you guys for all your advice!! I'll definitely talk to my parents about it, thank you for all your support! I realized that the eyelash thing might be more because of irritation after paying more attention to it when I do it. I think it just might be an issue with the makeup products I use haha. I will def try out the Popits and putty!

On 10/21/2023 at 11:40 PM, ribboness said:

Thank you guys for all your advice!! I'll definitely talk to my parents about it, thank you for all your support! I realized that the eyelash thing might be more because of irritation after paying more attention to it when I do it. I think it just might be an issue with the makeup products I use haha. I will def try out the Popits and putty!

Glad we could help here! If you ever need anything else, you know where to find us. :)

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2022 at 3:02 AM, _Kai_ said:

I'm sorry you're going through this, it's super confusing and frustrating to understand why you're doing this to yourself :( I used to have it really bad and I made the decision to shave it all off cuz my hair started looking really thin and there were bald spots and stuff. My mom didn't believe in this being a disorder but she suppored and encouraged my decision to shave it off in case it'd help. And it did, generally, as it started to grow back and become longer, it was healthier and I didn't feel the need to pull it anymore. But then recently, like about a year ago, I had an important exam coming up that I was super duper stressed about and I found myself starting to do it again, which really really made me upset. Cuz I thought it was over. So that sucked. And I've been doing occasionally since then, and my hair's getting thinner. Not as bad as it used to be, but I'm still super annoyed that I've started doing it again. But I've also clearly realized it's due to stress. So I'll work on finding other ways to distract myself.Β 

If someone's really struggling with this, just know that different things work for different people. For me, shaving it REALLY did the trick and I didn't do it again for a very very long time until I got extremely stressed last year. I've heard that pen clicking helps? I've also tried typing up my hair tightly (helped temporarily), deep breathing (never really helped), just cutting my hair short (did not help), and I was so desperate to stop it that I literally tied my fingers together😭 

I hope you're able to find out what works best for you.

Β