This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate

I don't know how to come out to my homophobic dad. And I'm also dating someone and I want to do right by him and I can't without coming out.

Just_here    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Im a guy dating another guy, and I love it. But the problem is that I can only see him in school because my dad's very homophobic. And I have no adult I can talk to because my teachers would say I need to find someone else to live with, but considering my options he's my best bet. I want to do right by my boyfriend, but it's so hard to see him outside of school. And I feel trapped.

• Digital Mentor
This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate

Click this notice to reveal the content.
On 11/16/2022 at 10:14 AM, Just_here said:

Im a guy dating another guy, and I love it. But the problem is that I can only see him in school because my dad's very homophobic. And I have no adult I can talk to because my teachers would say I need to find someone else to live with, but considering my options he's my best bet. I want to do right by my boyfriend, but it's so hard to see him outside of school. And I feel trapped.

Heyy @Just_here, I am Luie one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label. 

I hear you, it definitely can be difficult to navigate everything when your dad has a homophobic perspective. One thing your teachers have pointed is correct which is firstly making sure you will be safe if you choose to come out. But the decision is not anyone else's, I do want you to know that even though currently you might be living two separate lives (one at home and one outside) you come out to your family when you feel safe enough and ready to do so. Living with a partner is a big step and in my experience it should not stem just only from necessity but also a deep desire to connect and grow together as well (I am not doubting you or your intentions at all and I can imagine the struggle and how trapped you've been feeling). So, take some time to reflect on whether you want to move forward with it or give yourself some more time, how does this sound to you?

Staff-Account.png