Hello

ariisokay Β  Β 

My name is Arianna but please call me Ari. I am autistic and currently struggling with obsession. If you know anything about autism or obsession and want to help, please do. I could use some help...

Hey again, Ariis!

Β 

I've just responded to your other post, so I hope you find that useful. I can definitely help you with this. I have a lot of experience with autism and am currently an Assistant Educational Psychologist alongside my volunteering for DtL. From my experiences, I have realised that having obsessions is a normal part of being on the autistic spectrum. With your recent post about the school therapist, having a crush or even being in love can lead to 'obsessive' thoughts as such, so try not to worry too much about them. As I said though, it is important to know what's appropriate and what's not if you are feeling this way about someone.

Β 

If you are worried that you were obsessed with this person, it could be helpful to try and focus on something else that you enjoy. Out of those with autism who I've worked with, they tend to focus on gaming, books, magazines, etc. Do you have any hobbies you could potentially redirect this energy to?

Β 

It's important to know that having obsessions due to autism may never go away, and it can be useful to have an intense focus on something to help reduce anxiety you may be feeling. The main thing is to make sure that the thing you focus on is a hobby as such which will lead to positive things for yourself e.g. feeling satisfied when completing a game.

Β 

I hope you find this helpful anyway. Let me know if not and we can work something else out.

Β 

-Monsoon :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e