I feel fat and ugly and it's making me feel low

minniemouse89    

Yesterday I had another breakdown. I was tryin' on clothes for an upcomin consert. No matter what i tried on I just felt fat and ugly. I am neither of these things. No one has called me me "fat" or "ugly" for at least 10 years. Yet my inner (STUPID) voice keeps telling me that I am.

I am so done with this voice inside my head - so I decided to join this community. I wanna start being confident and pretty, fo my own sake. And I wanna stop comparing myself to others. Enough is enough!!

So how ya' all doin'?

Hey minniemouse89,

Big welcome to Ditch the Label! I'm good thank you. ?'??

Love your post, I relate to all of it! Body image is still a massive work in progress for me and something I struggled with for years and just like you all the negativity was coming from me and the voice in my head.

What do you find helps when the voice starts on you? For me it's noticing its happening which is half the battle as even that can take a while and then 100% I have to share it and talk about it with a friend I trust. It helps me see what utter rubbish it is and get some perspective back. A friend of mine always says to compare is to despair, which is so true. ?

It's important to have people and places where we can be brutally honest about how we feel with no judgement. Which is one of the reasons we started Community, as millions of us experience these things daily but don't talk about it enough.

Have a read of these articles for some inspiration and tips on building your confidence.

?? ?

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-confidence/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/embrace-yourself-a-short-guide/

Sending positivity

-peach311

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Thank you!

What you're saying is soo true. If I notice in time that my "inner nagging" is about to start, I might be able to stop it. But occasionally I don't see it in time and the meltdown is a fact. ..Feels like I need some weapon for those times. This time I solved it by yelling at my hubby and crying my eyes out. Didn't work too well..

I totally get what you mean about not seeing it in time. How would you rate your self-esteem?

The reason I ask is it made a big difference to my overall body image when I took steps to build mine back up as it had got to low without me realizing. I could talk through some pointers if that would be helpful.

This stuff is tough, meltdowns happen and that's ok. ?

Let me know what you think. ??

-peach311

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I struggled with this for years ? I just kept forcing myself to find some positive things I liked about myself. When I hated my nose, I liked my eyes, when I hated my ears, I liked my hair. Trying to fill myself full of positivity to replace the negative thoughts! ?

• 3 months later...

I'm doing great, thank you!

I completely understand what you're saying.

I've hated myself for years and finding clothes to wear has been a real struggle. I have body dysmorphia so no matter what I do, all my "imperfections" stick out.

But please, remember this. Most people won't view you the same way as you view yourself. To others, your good qualities, both physical and personal attributes, stick out more than the bad ones. You just need to get into the habit of shutting out your voice and listening to others.

It'll take time, but I believe you can do it xx

-C.M.E.S

It's really common, personally I've experienced this for a long time on a consistent basis, and yeah a lot of people go through it, but most people ignore it and live with it. I'm glad that you're standing up to this, you've got this!