How to come out to strict Christian parents

ProcrastinatingRavenclaw    

I recently realized I'm bi. I was listening to 'Boyfriend' by Dove Cameron (awesome by the way) and I just thought "Oh my gosh! I like girls too!" Then I realized, my parents.

They're not really strict, but they like to stick to the Bible. And they can be scary. 

I tried coming out to my brother earlier today, saying he can come out to me if he ever wants to, and I was gonna lead on from that, but he gave me a really weird look, so I stopped.

Once or twice, before I realized I was bi, my parents had a talk with me about how LGBTQ+ is bad, and it's not what God wanted, I remember thinking "If it's so darn bad, why didn't he just stop it?" So yeah.

I also have this fear that they're gonna kick me out. I asked my mom if she would ever disown me and she said no, so there's a chance they may not. But, I don't know. They firmly believe that homosexuality is bad.....so how the heck am I supposed to come out?

They might say it's a phase, or discount it, lecture me, call me crazy, say my BFF is rubbing off on me and make me cut ties with her cause she's bi. My mind is just spiraling. How do I handle this?

• Digital Mentor
11 hours ago, ProcrastinatingRavenclaw said:

I recently realized I'm bi. I was listening to 'Boyfriend' by Dove Cameron (awesome by the way) and I just thought "Oh my gosh! I like girls too!" Then I realized, my parents.

They're not really strict, but they like to stick to the Bible. And they can be scary. 

I tried coming out to my brother earlier today, saying he can come out to me if he ever wants to, and I was gonna lead on from that, but he gave me a really weird look, so I stopped.

Once or twice, before I realized I was bi, my parents had a talk with me about how LGBTQ+ is bad, and it's not what God wanted, I remember thinking "If it's so darn bad, why didn't he just stop it?" So yeah.

I also have this fear that they're gonna kick me out. I asked my mom if she would ever disown me and she said no, so there's a chance they may not. But, I don't know. They firmly believe that homosexuality is bad.....so how the heck am I supposed to come out?

They might say it's a phase, or discount it, lecture me, call me crazy, say my BFF is rubbing off on me and make me cut ties with her cause she's bi. My mind is just spiraling. How do I handle this?

Hi there, I'm Aurora, I'm one of the support mentors here. I give advice and support to those who reach out to us. 

Thank you so much for telling us what's been going on. Please know that this is a safe space here and we're here for you. There are lots of others here, who are going through a very similar experience to you. 

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel like you can open up to your parents. You said that you have this fear that your parents might kick you out. The most important thing is that you're safe so I'm wondering whether it might not be the right time yet to tell your parents. What do you think? It's great that you wanted to speak to your brother. Do you think he would be supportive if you told him? Also, do you mind me asking, if you have you come out to anyone else yet? 

Staff-Account.png