My mom won't let me do a class

Kassy.bi girl Β  Β 

So just because when I was younger I used to have to go use the bathroom a lot so she thinks that it's the same . but ive gotten better but she doesn't understand that .

• Digital Mentor
14 hours ago, Kassy.bi girl said:

So just because when I was younger I used to have to go use the bathroom a lot so she thinks that it's the same . but ive gotten better but she doesn't understand that .

Hi @Kassy.bi girl, I'm Aurora, one of the support mentors here at Ditch the Label. That sounds frustrating. Do you mind telling me a little more about this? What class is it that you would like to do and is there no bathroom there you can use if you did have to go? From what you're saying it sounds like you've spoken to your Mum about this. What did she say?Β 

Staff-Account.png

So I want to do NJROTC which is the army class and she says that she won't let me do it becauseΒ I supposedly can't run. But if I don't push myself I won't ever do anything in life.

• Digital Mentor
On 8/19/2022 at 3:55 PM, Kassy.bi girl said:

So I want to do NJROTC which is the army class and she says that she won't let me do it becauseΒ I supposedly can't run. But if I don't push myself I won't ever do anything in life.

That sounds like a really positive attitude to have. Have you mentioned that to your Mum and does she know your reasons for wanting to do the class?Β 

Staff-Account.png

She just won't listen. I try to explain but she never gives me a chance to speak.

• Digital Mentor
23 hours ago, Kassy.bi girl said:

She just won't listen. I try to explain but she never gives me a chance to speak.

That sounds frustrating. It's difficult when people don't give you a chance to speak! Do you think writing it down in a letter might work?Β 

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
20 hours ago, Kassy.bi girl said:

I can try but I really doubt it

If it doesn't work, is there maybe another family member or friend who you might be able to talk to? Maybe they could support you and the two of you can speak to your Mum together. Do you think that might work?Β 

Staff-Account.png

Not really because this has already happened before and she just ends up getting more mad at me.

• Digital Mentor
On 8/24/2022 at 3:23 PM, Kassy.bi girl said:

Not really because this has already happened before and she just ends up getting more mad at me.

Can you think of a time before, where you managed to have a good discussion with your Mum and you felt like she was listening to you? What do you think worked that time?Β 

Staff-Account.png

im so sorry to hear about your mom!

• Digital Mentor
On 8/26/2022 at 6:55 PM, Kassy.bi girl said:

Well we almost never talk so...

I understand. Is that something you would like to change?Β 

Staff-Account.png

6 hours ago, Aurora said:

I understand. Is that something you would like to change?Β 

I would but she isn't that type of mom who hangs out with her kids like that....+

• Digital Mentor
18 hours ago, Kassy.bi girl said:

I would but she isn't that type of mom who hangs out with her kids like that....+

What do you think she would say if you suggested spending some time together?Β 

Staff-Account.png

5 hours ago, Aurora said:

What do you think she would say if you suggested spending some time together?Β 

Like always she'll say "why are you always just trying to make attention."Β 

• Digital Mentor

Like always she'll say "why are you always just trying to make attention."Β 

That sounds difficult. How does that make you feel, when she says that?Β 

Staff-Account.png

5 hours ago, Aurora said:

That sounds difficult. How does that make you feel, when she says that?Β 

I'm at a point where I don't even listen to her.

• Digital Mentor
On 8/31/2022 at 6:58 PM, Kassy.bi girl said:

I'm at a point where I don't even listen to her.

I'm sorry to hear that. Going back to that class you want to do. Is it too late to join now, or can you join any time? I'm just wondering if you could speak to your Mum about when she thinks you're ready to join? Eg if you practice your running, would she let you join then?

Staff-Account.png

Well she let me do it but I can't do any of the extracurriculum activities.Β 

• Digital Mentor
On 9/2/2022 at 6:56 PM, Kassy.bi girl said:

Well she let me do it but I can't do any of the extracurriculum activities.Β 

Great that she is letting you do it. What do you think changed her mind? And how do you feel about it?Β 

Staff-Account.png

She only changed her mind because my sister talked to her about the opportunities that class will give me. I feel like if I ask her something she won't let me do it but if someone else talks to her she would let me do it.Β 

• Digital Mentor
19 hours ago, Kassy.bi girl said:

She only changed her mind because my sister talked to her about the opportunities that class will give me. I feel like if I ask her something she won't let me do it but if someone else talks to her she would let me do it.Β 

That's interesting that you have noticed that. Why do you think that might be? Do you think your Mum is aware that she is doing this and has your sister noticed it, too?Β 

Staff-Account.png

On 9/7/2022 at 6:22 AM, Aurora said:

That's interesting that you have noticed that. Why do you think that might be? Do you think your Mum is aware that she is doing this and has your sister noticed it, too?Β 

I really doubt it. Yeah but it's not like she can do anything about it. Because what my mom will say is" she's my child and I raise her the way I think is best". So yeah.

• Digital Mentor

I really doubt it. Yeah but it's not like she can do anything about it. Because what my mom will say is" she's my child and I raise her the way I think is best". So yeah.

Do you think it would help, if you and your sister spoke to your Mum together?Β 

Staff-Account.png