Highschool.....

BusinessBee Β  Β 

So I just left the 8th grade and Im not even a week into summer break. My honor classes I signed up for require summer work. I need to study a book, learn the locations and names of all of the European countries, and learn 3 pages of geometry terms. Also, I'm kinda dreading highschool, my town's highschool is giant and confusing while all my other schools are small and simple. Oh yeah did I mention I also have to work over the summer? Thanks if you've read this far and sorry I needed to let this out somewhere.

23 hours ago, Cat!!! said:

You have a summer job plus all your school assignments?

Yes and most of July will be full

Blondie
This post was recognized by Blondie!

sanholo was awarded the badge 'Great Advice' and 25 points.

You seem to be pretty responsible: not many people at your age are juggling that much at once. I certainly wasn't. I always remember thinking throughout my pre-college education that the "next class will be the one I cannot do," only to be proven wrong time and again. I have a feeling you're experiencing something similar. Time management is a skill you'll develop as you progress through school; I think you're just running into needing to manage it a bit earlier than others.Β I'd keep it in the back of your mind that you're probably very well prepared for high school (which demands at least a certain level of responsibility). Concretely, and in my opinion, the best way to manage all of that is to have some structure. You don't need to map out every 15 mins of your day (although you could certainly do that), but make sure you do thingsΒ regularlyΒ each day. I think doing the same thingsΒ at the same timeΒ each day is helpful. Maybe you do your school work at night after your "work" work.Β 

Going from a small school to a large high school unfortunately is not something I'm equipped to talk about: my middle school (6-8th grade) Β was roughly the same size as my high school. One thing I can say, however, is that indeedΒ everyoneΒ in your school is in the same boat as you. That means they have the same worries as you (making friends, sports maybe, academics, etc), and I'd even venture to say that to some extent Β a medium-size elementary/middle school and a big high school aren't that much different; after all, people in big high schools don't know everybody (I certainly didn't). I can't promise that high school will be great but I can tell you this: there are days where I wish I were in high school again.

• Like 2

Well youΒ  can manage your time.First estimate how long it'll take you to finish each assignment after that you can spend however long on that assignment until it's done try to have a goal on when you think you'll have it done then move onto the next assignment .If you work on one assignment finish it and have it done within your set goal it should help. I also have a few study tips. 1. If you want to remember something better read it out loud and write it down in a blue pen 2. This might be more of a me thing but try to find an song that has to do with one of your assignmentsΒ  3. Study for about 25-30 minutes then take 5-10 minute breaks 4.So whatever you've been working on after you think you got it down you can do active recall which all ya need is a paper pencil/pen and then write down everything you can remember, then with that you can see what parts you might want to improve

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 12:27 AM, Cat!!! said:

Well youΒ  can manage your time.First estimate how long it'll take you to finish each assignment after that you can spend however long on that assignment until it's done try to have a goal on when you think you'll have it done then move onto the next assignment .If you work on one assignment finish it and have it done within your set goal it should help. I also have a few study tips. 1. If you want to remember something better read it out loud and write it down in a blue pen 2. This might be more of a me thing but try to find an song that has to do with one of your assignmentsΒ  3. Study for about 25-30 minutes then take 5-10 minute breaks 4.So whatever you've been working on after you think you got it down you can do active recall which all ya need is a paper pencil/pen and then write down everything you can remember, then with that you can see what parts you might want to improve

Thank you so much!