I’m Scared to come out

jayden    

Hello peoples I’m 14

um I really want to come out to my parents I’ve told like 4 of my cousins that’s all and they accept me. My parents I believe don’t like gay people. Everyday they talk about that it’s sad what this world is coming too because someone has came  out as gay.If y’all know who Raven is from that’s so Raven, she is a really nice person from what I’ve seen. They say just because she’s gay she has “grown up to be a sad person” in like she doesn’t resonate as good to them. But she is a really nice and respectful person and I think they shouldn’t be judging her off of who she likes. What really makes me sad is that when I was little  I use to do things that they thought as girly like roll my eyes or cross me feet when I sit down. I remember when my dad showed me a picture of a girl and a boy when I was smaller and asked who I liked. I SAID THE BOY and he tried to convince me to like the girl.It really makes me sad that they think being gay lesbian or bisexual is a choice. I don’t know what to do I’m scared of what they might say or do if I come out.

Edited by jayden

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @jayden Welcome to the community! 😊

I am Daisie a Community Warden here on the forums, and I just wanted to send you a warm welcome. I have read your post and I just wondered if you would feel it’s beneficial to have a chat with one of our Trained Mentors? Sometimes I think it’s helpful to talk things through. I’ll tag them in so you know who they are and so they can reach out to you. @Blondie & @Monsoon

• Ditch the Label Staff
5 hours ago, jayden said:

Hello peoples I’m 14

um I really want to come out to my parents I’ve told like 4 of my cousins that’s all and they accept me. My parents I believe don’t like gay people. Everyday they talk about that it’s sad what this world is coming too because someone has came  out as gay.If y’all know who Raven is from that’s so Raven, she is a really nice person from what I’ve seen. They say just because she’s gay she has “grown up to be a sad person” in like she doesn’t resonate as good to them. But she is a really nice and respectful person and I think they shouldn’t be judging her off of who she likes. What really makes me sad is that when I was little  I use to do things that they thought as girly like roll my eyes or cross me feet when I sit down. I remember when my dad showed me a picture of a girl and a boy when I was smaller and asked who I liked. I SAID THE BOY and he tried to convince me to like the girl.It really makes me sad that they think being gay lesbian or bisexual is a choice. I don’t know what to do I’m scared of what they might say or do if I come out.

Hi Jayden, I'm Blondie, one of the support mentors. 

I'm really glad to hear that your cousins are accepting but can understand how worrying it must feel regarding your parents. Sometimes parents can initially be worried as they do not completely understand but will eventually change. Do you think that your home life would be safe if you were to come out? For example, would you still be able to live at home? I wish it wasn't the case as we should all be able to be our true selves but it's really important to assess safety before coming out.

Staff-Account.png

3 hours ago, Blondie said:

Hi Jayden, I'm Blondie, one of the support mentors. 

I'm really glad to hear that your cousins are accepting but can understand how worrying it must feel regarding your parents. Sometimes parents can initially be worried as they do not completely understand but will eventually change. Do you think that your home life would be safe if you were to come out? For example, would you still be able to live at home? I wish it wasn't the case as we should all be able to be our true selves but it's really important to assess safety before coming out.

I’m not sure but I think they will let me stay

• Ditch the Label Staff
4 hours ago, jayden said:

I’m not sure but I think they will let me stay

The reason I mention it is that we don't want you to be in a position where your safety is at risk in any way. If there are these doubts, we would advise you wait until you can leave for college or you leave home to live independently.

If you think it might be okay, sometimes it can help if you have a supportive family member or trusted family friend that can be with you when you tell them in order to support you.

Do you think that would be possible? 

Staff-Account.png