My french lgbt book recommendations

Dywwik    

RECRUE, Samuel Champagne, 2013

So I recently decided to read a book that I was afraid to read. It is one of the first gay romance for teens book where I live. (2013)

I read it this February I believe and I'm so glad I did! It was the first time in ever, that I related to q character that much! I had the same thought process as one of the character when I was in highschool and I understood the character fully. I didn't have to guess or understand only with the words that were given to me. I fully understood why the character was trying to eclipse himself. 

The fact that the book takes place in my society in 2013 was really fun because I was also a teen in 2013 like the characters. I felt back in highschool reading this book.  The characters are slightly older than me, if they were real, but I feel like they are.  

I look to notice the duration of a book by the passage of time in them, and this book takes place within a year. A school year. 

If you like character arcs, there is a nice one in this book. Well two opposite character arcs. It's very interesting. 

I couldn't read it without screaming, physically screening at the characters for being stupid and dumb, and I have to remember that they are only 16-17 and don't know any better. Very intertaining. 

Reading the book and thinking "KISS HIM YOU FOOL!" so many times! For either characters. 

It was a very fun and good read! I highly recommend

Adam, Samuel Champagne, (2018?)

This is part of a new book collection called kaleidoscope. 

Kaleidoscope is a collection that the author himself tried to put into place and I hope he won't be the only author in his project. 

Adam is the second oldest of a family with 7 kids. He is the oldest in the household, children wise, and is fed up of taking care of his younger siblings. 

He basically wants a proper relationship with his parents, older brother and wants the bullying at school to stop. He's bullied not because he's gay, but because his family is so big that students jokingly say he's part of a math problems. 

A situation happens, I don't want to spoil anything, but it hit hard. 

I really recommend if you want to read queer french books. 

James, Samuel Champagne, 2018. (Kaleidoscope)

James is the story of a straight teen that realizes he is in fact bisexual.  

It deals about the struggle of him being straight passing and also being in a homosexual relationship. It is very cute how oblivious he is. 

He is an athlete, in provincial competitions and might go into the Olympics. He is very passionate about his sport. 

Throughout the book there is a metaphor, or an allégorie, about how to see life that I find interesting. 

I appreciated it a bit less, because I felt the point of the book was on the character being bi instead of a second dilemma like in Adam

I do recommend this book! 

Antonin, Samuel Champagne, 2019. Kaleidoscope

TW (the book itself, not necessarily the review) Abuse, Trauma, suicide. 

First thing of the bat, no, Antonin does not succeed his suicide. He has PTSD from his childhood and most of his trauma stems from there. 

Antonin is a prodige in arts. Goes to art school since he's 6 or 7 years old. He was "rescued" by child support (DPJ) and is in his forever home since he is 6. He is gay, of course and thinks he must hide his gayness from his adopted parents to shield them and that is his way of showing his endless gratitude that he has for them. Yes, that is toxic. His first time near a gay man, he only want to have intercourse just to get it out of his system. The guy doesn't let him. Thank god!

Anyways, there wasn't a chapter that I didn't cry in, except the epilogue. I predicted the ending, but I was convinced it would have been in the epilogue. 

A really good read overall, very moving and, if you are as emotional as I am, you'll get a good cry out of it. (not necessarily for awful things, there are very cute parts that made me cry as well.)

Sacha, Samuel Champagne, 2021. Kaleidoscope 

Sacha is the story of a young man, first day of cégep (college) and live with a father that emulates toxic masculinity. Thus Sacha also has internalized homophobia. Sacha unconsciously knows he is gay. 

The story is a little rough, especially if you have conservative parents. But the romantic interest lightens things a little. 

The story gets a little rough because of the internalized homophobia that the character has but it get better after he decides to truely embrace his sexual identity. 

He constantly gets guys phone number and is troubled by it. He doesn't know how to react about it because he is both flattered and flustered. 

The romantic interest is very supportive and just a huge sunshine for Sacha. It is very heartwarming. 

In my opinion, Sacha is a book with a lot of research done. Every chapter has a title and the effort put into the book really show and make it stand out. This is my second favorite book from this author, my first being Recrue.

I have somewhat conservative parents, so this book was really hard to read at times, but totally worth it.