Toxic friends

Roadrunner87    

So I have this friend... she's always sliding in negative remarks and when I get upset about it and call her out on it, she laughs and says awe you cute like, belittling the situation.  For example I bought a new 2021 car and she's like I wouldn't have bought it. It's nicer than her old one that she's constantly having issues with and she thinks hers is better because it has some things mine doesn't like a sunroof etc. Said my car isn't the best and it's too small.. she seen my puppy for the first time and I'm like isn't she so cute she said ah not really but if you love her that's all that matters. She says I'm big and chunky when she's over a 100 pounds bigger than me.  Always saying stuff like this and when I call her out she just laughs it off. What is this called? I'm over it.... she does some nice things but she seems a bit controlling.  She gets upset when I tell her no about doing things like going to nursing school together.  If my goals aren't the same she acts like I'm not being ambitious.  What is going on? I'm not sure what to think about it. 

10 hours ago, Roadrunner87 said:

So I have this friend... she's always sliding in negative remarks and when I get upset about it and call her out on it, she laughs and says awe you cute like, belittling the situation.  For example I bought a new 2021 car and she's like I wouldn't have bought it. It's nicer than her old one that she's constantly having issues with and she thinks hers is better because it has some things mine doesn't like a sunroof etc. Said my car isn't the best and it's too small.. she seen my puppy for the first time and I'm like isn't she so cute she said ah not really but if you love her that's all that matters. She says I'm big and chunky when she's over a 100 pounds bigger than me.  Always saying stuff like this and when I call her out she just laughs it off. What is this called? I'm over it.... she does some nice things but she seems a bit controlling.  She gets upset when I tell her no about doing things like going to nursing school together.  If my goals aren't the same she acts like I'm not being ambitious.  What is going on? I'm not sure what to think about it. 

Hey @Roadrunner87

Welcome :)

I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice to those who reach out to us. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with this friend. It sounds like she invalidates how you feel which is always frustrating. I just want to check in and see how you're feeling about all of this? It sounds like a tricky friendship; I hope you're as okay as you can be. Also, I'm wondering, why do you think she might be acting like this? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e