This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Self-Harm

coping stratagies

Jinxx    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Self-Harm

Click this notice to reveal the content.

I have struggled with self harm for a little while and |I though if anyone was trying to recover I would share some coping skills that help me.

Holding ice

Elastic band

Red lines on paper

sensory box

secret codes

If anyone needs me to elaborate on how these work I'd be more than happy too.

23 hours ago, Jinxx said:

I have struggled with self harm for a little while and |I though if anyone was trying to recover I would share some coping skills that help me.

Holding ice

Elastic band

Red lines on paper

sensory box

secret codes

If anyone needs me to elaborate on how these work I'd be more than happy too.

Hey @Jinxx

Welcome to our community and thank you for sharing these really helpful coping skills. I'm wondering, how did you find out about them? I think talking through that will be helpful for other community users who self-harm :) 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

I found out about them because I started self-harming on the 4/11/2018 and have struggled with it since then- the cuts became deeper and deeper. It was a mix of talking to my therapist, youtube and tiktok. Personally, I find holding ice the most helpful as it creates an internal pain.

1. holding ice-sqeeze it until it melts

2. Elastic band- flick it against your wrist

3. Red lines on paper- if you're doing ot on paper then press down as hard as you want. I have some friends who like to draw red lines on their skin as it imitates the blood- just be careful if you do it on you're skin not to press down too hard. 

4. Sensory box- fill a box with whatever provides you with sensory comfort and example would be teddies ect and when you want to self-harm you play with things that make you feel safe. It is often a good idea to put reasons you want to stop self-harming in the box too.

5. Secrey codes- have a secret code with your friends. Mine used to be "spots" if I say or text the code it means that I need help to calm down.

Hope this helps someone. Have a good day everyone and look after yourself.

Edited by Jinxx
Grammar mistakes- there may still be some.

1 hour ago, Jinxx said:

I found out about them because I started self-harming on the 4/11/2018 and have struggled with it since then- the cuts became deeper and deeper. It was a mix of talking to my therapist, youtube and tiktok. Personally, I find holding ice the most helpful as it creates an internal pain.

1. holding ice-sqeeze it until it melts

2. Elastic band- flick it against your wrist

3. Red lines on paper- if you're doing ot on paper then press down as hard as you want. I have some friends who like to draw red lines on their skin as it imitates the blood- just be careful if you do it on you're skin not to press down too hard. 

4. Sensory box- fill a box with whatever provides you with sensory comfort and example would be teddies ect and when you want to self-harm you play with things that make you feel safe. It is often a good idea to put reasons you want to stop self-harming in the box too.

5. Secrey codes- have a secret code with your friends. Mine used to be "spots" if I say or text the code it means that I need help to calm down.

Hope this helps someone. Have a good day everyone and look after yourself.

This is so helpful; thank you for sharing :) 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e