I don't know how to come out as bi

daniesg08    

I identify as bisexual, and I feel like I'm ready to start telling people, but I don't know how to do it, or if I should wait because I'm not dating anyone right now, and I don't want to feel pressured to start dating (either a guy or a girl) if I decide to come out to someone.

• Ditch the Label Staff

Welcome to Ditch the Label Daniesgo8!

Firstly, I just want to say congratulations on starting your coming out journey. Even just typing the words at first can be daunting, I know, but you're doing it so well done. Having been through the experience of coming out myself, I know how you must be feeling and it can be a huge weight on your shoulders. It's very easy to get trapped into your own thought processes and build anxiety and fear, but please know that you are not alone and many people are currently going through the exact same thing as you.

Coming out is a journey that is unique to you. There's no set way of doing it and you have to do it when you are ready, which I feel like you are. You don't need to wait until you're in a relationship, some people do, others don't. There's no right or wrong way to do it.

If you could predict how the people you are closest to would react, what do you think they would say?

Harper :)

Staff-Account.png

Hey, I'm in the exact same situation as you but I told my closest friends first and then friends but I've not come out to everyone's yet. I haven't come out to my family, all school and people from outside of school clubs. One thing I've started doing is being more open and just being myself so if I want to comment "'" on a girls post ill do it. If you ever want to talk you can message me

Welcome to the community

Thank you for your answers, I'm thinking of telling my mom first, my brother is gay and she is pretty cool about it, I'm actually more concerned about telling my friends, I have a pretty close group of friends who are all girls and I don't want them to feel uncomfortable or something.

• Ditch the Label Staff

I think that sounds like a really great start and it's positive to know that your brother is gay, so he could be an invaluable person to support you through the process. Have you told him yet?

I understand your anxiety about coming out to your friends, but from my own experiences, it is very easy to get stuck in your own mind and to over think things. If they are weird about it and not willing to have an open mind, they aren't true friends anyway. Most likely they will accept it, ask a few questions and move on. Have you considered telling just one friend to start with, to see how she reacts?

Also - some research we produced a few years ago found that the majority of people don't identify as 100% straight or 100% gay, with a huge amount of us somewhere on the scale, so please don't feel like you're alone - because you're not.

Harper :)

Staff-Account.png

• Ditch the Label Staff

Yes! Well done, I'm so happy for you. What did she say? I bet you feel so relieved now, right?

Harper :D

Staff-Account.png

• 1 month later...