hello y’all

gayer_than_a_rainbow    

hey, so I’m new as of like 10mins ago aha 

my name… well let’s call me alex then eh? it’s not my real name ig but I suppose I’d like it to be my internet persona per se ahah 

well, I’m from Scotland and it’s pretty cold here…

im bisexual, and closeted to most people bar my close friends… I want to come out to my parents at some point but I am quite worried about it. I’d maybe want to come out in like s4 or s5 (age 16-17) coz then I could display my sexuality on my school uniform and feel old enough to “make the right decision” ig, but who knows…

I joined here as I don’t usually talk about sexuality stuff with my friends, and sometimes I stress and just need a place to breathe and talk <3

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey Alex! Welcome to the community, it's really lovely to have you with us. Hope you're finding the forum helpful so far.☺️

I am Daisie a Community Warden here on the forums and I ensure the community remains a safe and positive space for all. If you have any questions at all please give me a shout.

If you need any support or advice we are incredibly lucky to have lovely trained Mentors on hand. I will tag them in so you know who they are! @Monsoon & @Blondie.

I'm sure you'll soon find that our community has such a friendly member base and hopefully you'll feel welcomed here. Look forward to seeing you around! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gayer_than_a_rainbow said:

hey, so I’m new as of like 10mins ago aha 

my name… well let’s call me alex then eh? it’s not my real name ig but I suppose I’d like it to be my internet persona per se ahah 

well, I’m from Scotland and it’s pretty cold here…

im bisexual, and closeted to most people bar my close friends… I want to come out to my parents at some point but I am quite worried about it. I’d maybe want to come out in like s4 or s5 (age 16-17) coz then I could display my sexuality on my school uniform and feel old enough to “make the right decision” ig, but who knows…

I joined here as I don’t usually talk about sexuality stuff with my friends, and sometimes I stress and just need a place to breathe and talk <3

Hey Alex,

Welcome to our community :) 

I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice and support to those who reach out to us. This is the perfect place for you to breathe and talk! How are you doing at the moment? I notice what you said about how you're worried to come out to your parents, and I'm wondering, can you tell me more about that? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

7 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey Alex,

Welcome to our community :) 

I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice and support to those who reach out to us. This is the perfect place for you to breathe and talk! How are you doing at the moment? I notice what you said about how you're worried to come out to your parents, and I'm wondering, can you tell me more about that? 

Hey, I’m doing good thanks! 

well, in my family we don’t really have anybody who is openly a member of the LGBTQ community, so I’d be the first. My sister who is a year older than me has lots of friends who are part of the community, and my parents speak ill of them because of this. My dad isn’t as bad as my mum. She sees it all that you can’t know if you haven’t dated a girl or whatever. Say you’re a lesbian, she thinks like well you haven’t dated a girl so how would you know? It just makes me feel like they’ll tell me I’m too young, or I don’t know anything about it. My dad has said before that he doesn’t care if I’m a lesbian, bisexual or straight, so he would be fine, but I want to come out to them at the same time…

Hey there,

It's really positive that your dad said he doesn't care, and although your mum has said some insensitive things in the past, do you think she might react more positively with you being her daughter? It's different when your own child comes out; the love that a parent has for their child is so powerful and is a key driver of helping someone to be more open minded and accepting. What do you think? 

I do hope she will react more positively, but I’m not sure… hopefully, as you’ve said, because I am her daughter, she’ll react more kindly but I don’t know tbh

Yeah, I think that although it's really easy to get caught up in the worry of it all, remember, she loves you and cares about you deeply, and such a strong bond is exactly what helps people who can be quite insensitive towards the community respond in a better way. What do you think? 

2 hours ago, gayer_than_a_rainbow said:

yeah, I think you’re right 

That's okay. How are you feeing about everything now?