“Phases”

ashton    

Hello! Greetings. Earlier today mother asked me who was this girl I had on my Lock Screen. And I replied with my girlfriend. the problem though is she still thinks this is all a big phase although she has known all the heartbreaks I’ve gotten from dating women, came out 2 years ago, and have had introduced them to one girl. My mother is conservative. She’s catholic and refuses to accept that being queer/lesbian is not okay and that I’m only doing it because it’s “trendy”. Truth is, I don’t know how to explain to her that it is indeed not a phase or a choice of lifestyle. It just happened. But I’m 14 so because she think I’m too young, my opinion doesn’t matter. 

Hey @ashton

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. I'm sorry to hear that your mother still thinks it's all a big phase. I can imagine that this is quite hurtful for you, and I just want to thank you for sharing this with us. Talking openly about your experiences is one of the best ways to get through a difficult time. We are here for you.

Can I ask, what have you said to her about this in the past? I think that with your mother, it might just be that the older you get, the more she will come round to it. I think that the only thing you can continue to do is live as authentically as you can, and over time, she will hopefully see that you are being serious. However, you might have to wait for a good few years yet, and that change in her is likely to happen more gradually rather than all at once. What do you think? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e