coming out

Kiya    

Hi Kiya! I'm glad to hear that you would like to come out to your family. Its very hard, not knowing how they'd react. I myself have come out to my mom once, but she shut me down. But that was mainly because I was very panicked and just kinda pushed it on her. But she grew up being told that its ok if other people are lgbtqa+, just not our kids. Which, obviously, made it hard for me. But despite her not letting me come out to others, I'm going to try again m, now that I am more experienced. I have a Bisexual Girlfriend, and she gave me some tips that I think could help you. 

1. Try using a note. That way, you can say everything that needs to be said, and they cant interrupt you. That also gives them time to process, and figure out what questions they have.

2. Try telling them on a walk, or in the car. That way, the eye-contact needed is limited, and both you're minds are having to multi-task, which should help relieve the tension and anxiety about the topic. 

Also, if you don't know if their Homophobic or not, as your talking to them, casually tell them that their was a movie, or book you read that had Lgbtqa+ characters with unsuportive parents. That will give them a gateway to include how they see our community.

Hope this helps! And I'll add more later on. Good Luck!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kiya said:

HI, im kiya im new i been trying to figure out a way to come out to my mom and my stepdad as bi ive been bi for a year now and im starting to feel bad about not telling them. 

Hey Kiya :)

Welcome to DTL. I’m one of the digital mentors here and I give advice and support to those who reach out to us.

Just so you know, with coming out, if you don’t feel ready, then it’s totally okay to wait. You can go at your one pace with this; I know you feel bad for not telling them, but just do what feels right for you now, and if that means waiting, then that’s okay. What do you think? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

10 hours ago, That_Bangtan_Bi_Girl said:

Hi Kiya! I'm glad to hear that you would like to come out to your family. Its very hard, not knowing how they'd react. I myself have come out to my mom once, but she shut me down. But that was mainly because I was very panicked and just kinda pushed it on her. But she grew up being told that its ok if other people are lgbtqa+, just not our kids. Which, obviously, made it hard for me. But despite her not letting me come out to others, I'm going to try again m, now that I am more experienced. I have a Bisexual Girlfriend, and she gave me some tips that I think could help you. 

1. Try using a note. That way, you can say everything that needs to be said, and they cant interrupt you. That also gives them time to process, and figure out what questions they have.

2. Try telling them on a walk, or in the car. That way, the eye-contact needed is limited, and both you're minds are having to multi-task, which should help relieve the tension and anxiety about the topic. 

Also, if you don't know if their Homophobic or not, as your talking to them, casually tell them that their was a movie, or book you read that had Lgbtqa+ characters with unsuportive parents. That will give them a gateway to include how they see our community.

Hope this helps! And I'll add more later on. Good Luck!

These tips are great - thanks for sharing :). Also, I’m sorry to hear that your mom wouldn’t let you come out to others. We are here for you if you’d ever like to speak with us :) 

• Like 1

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e