Hi. Wolf here

Bkerby14    

So I'm a 17y old guy, who is bisexual. I don't know how to tell my family that I am bi. I have told a few friends of mine and they were all accepting. But when it comes to my family, I am scared that they will reject me.

I am currently living with my uncle and I'm also scared that I would have to move back to my mom (She remarried and I don't like my stepdad never have and she lives in a town miles away from any cities so there's nothing there, but a store. And if I tell her she might fight with me or disown me) because my family has nothing to do with me.

Maybe I'm wrong and they accept me but then it would be very awkward because they will always ask questions, and I don't mind answering them but they will most likely go over bored

So I don't know how I'm supposed to tell my family.

​​​​​​​-Wolf

Hey Wolf,

Welcome to our online community. I'm Monsoon and I'm one of the digital support mentors alongside Remi. We and our other members are here to help you :)

I think it's great that you want to come out; I always ask people two questions before they do: Is it safe for you to come out, and are you ready? We would hate for you to be put in any kind of danger e.g. being kicked out, so it can often be best to wait until you're at an age where you can support yourself. What do you think? Also, with coming out, there really is no rush. This is really up to you and you get to decide the pace of your journey.

I'm glad to hear that your friends were accepting of you and I hope that you're family are also accepting when the time comes. However, some families can have bad reactions. Here is a support guide which helps to explain some of the reasons why people can have a bad reaction and what to do if it happens to you: https://www.ditchthelabel.org/my-parents-didnt-react-well-to-me-coming-out/. If this does happen, it's important to try and be patient as it may take a while for them to come round, but remember that it does get better for many people.

With coming out, some people tend to find it easier to write their families a letter for them to read separately and then sit down with them afterwards to talk about it. Here are some tips for coming out:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/top-11-tips-for-coming-out-as-lesbian-gay-or-bi/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/coming-out-homophobic-parents/

Anyway, let me know what you think of all this. If you don't find it helpful, we can figure something else out together. Speak soon!

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hi Monsoon

Thanks for the help. I feel ready to come out, and I am safe but I think that your right and I should tell them when I am able to support myself, just as a precaution.

-Wolf