Should I come out to my homophobic Mom?

Katy14    

My mom is homophobic and I believe she would never even think about abusing me but I sometimes wonder if she would punish me if I came out. I wonder if she would keep me from my dad or take away my phone or something. I'm mostly out at my school and I'm comfortable with my sexuality but I know she thinks it's a sin in wrong to be bisexual so I'm scared. I really want to, it's not that I'm not ready I'm just worried.

Hey @Katy14

Worrying is okay and normal!

If you are already out to a lot of your friends and feel like you would really like to share this with your mum then you should. It's not fair for her to punish you for something that you cannot change. What do you think she would say to you? Is it worth trying to speak to your Dad about it first so you can keep seeing him or stay with him if she doesn't take it well. Have you read our top tips for coming out? https://www.ditchthelabel.org/top-11-tips-for-coming-out-as-lesbian-gay-or-bi/

We're here for you Katy x

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.