Cyberbullying Attacks Severely Obliterate Perspective on Looks

Seanidy    

Hey guys. I am currently a fourteen your old boy in my freshman year of high school. Before 2019, I always thought that I looked fine and felt that my looks (facial features) were satisfactory. I always smiled at myself in the mirror back then whenever I finished dressing and such. On February 21st of this year that all change. This cyber bullying trend went all around the social media platform Snapchat and it said to vote for who you think is the "prettiest, funniest, meanest etc. person" and they get to post their opinion and keep it anonymous if they wanted to. I was voted "ugliest boy" TWICE (there were hardly any people participating in this, maybe around ten-fifteen) and ever since the incident I never saw myself the same way again.. Eventually I felt I had had enough and by early March I nearly committed suicide and by mid March I was undergoing extreme levels of therapy and missed about a month in school because of it. Every time I saw myself in the mirror I questioned "Why do I have these genes?" I was constantly getting depressed on a daily basis as nobody except like one or two friends would ever want to talk to me but only once in a very rare blue moon. I hid under the lunch tables every day in lunch and nearly ditched classes. To this day I still have severe self-esteem issues about my looks and I sometimes feel like I don't have the freedom to smile as I don't want other people to segregate against me. Even so, ever since the incident, I have showed inexpressible amounts of hate against the so called "good-looking" celebrities (especially Tom Holland, I say undeniably rude comments about him all the time following it, in fact they're too bad to even put them on here) and got so mad asking all these sorts of questions about my genes. I still need help to this day, I still cry myself to sleep sometimes about my looks.

Hello @Seanidy

I'm so sorry to hear that these people played such a cruel game and that it has such an adverse affect on you. I know it felt it like everyone shared this opinion but as you said, it was such a small group of people and there are 7 billion people in the world. Do not put your value upon the opinions of 10 people that cannot see your worth.

How are you feeling now with your mental health? Has therapy helped you work through some of these feelings? There is so much beauty in all of us and we should be looking at eachothers kindness and personalities thats what really counts in the long run.

How does it make you feel when you do write negative comments on other people's Instagram photos?

We're here for you whenever you need to chat.

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Sorry for the late reply! But so far ever since high school started my mental health has slowly been improving, but there is one more issue that I will likely discuss on another post. The pain I went through at that time could not be understated. It completely turned my life upside down. Sometimes I feel as if everyone is still judging on looks in some form. I never made the comments on Instagram, but I always thinking about spreading false news about them since I disliked them so much and often show my loathing towards some celebrities. Thanks for being here for me :)

We are here for you @Seanidy

You can't change what happened to you in the past, but you can look forward instead of backwards. People hurt you and your feelings are valid but if your life is a suitcase, it is easier to travel light so try to focus on yourself and what is best for you.

Whenever you feel ready to talk about the other thing you would like to discuss we are here with open ears.

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.