University, any tips?

Marv    

I've been wondering if anyone else on here is about to start university? I was hoping maybe some kinda discussion could be started here if anyone else is. But also I want to just ask for some help/advice/tips: anyone have any freshers uni tips? I'm confident, I'm excited, I'm looking forward to new stuff and people. I can't help but feel nervous, little anxious, and scared too. That's normal. I've been added by my geography peers to a groupchat, but it's kinda scary. It's funny how I've met so many people online and at work, but when it comes down to this I'm terrified. I'll know nobody, I'll have to go to stuff and talk to people. I'm not socially anxious or anything, it's just scary. I'm used to that safety net of my home/school friends. During freshers week, there's discos, quiz nights, gaming nights, etc, and I'm going to go to a few. I'm also going to register and go a few societies. People say 'just talk to as many people as you can', but it isn't as easy as that. I have my timetable, too, on the 30th September I have my first lecture. Scary. Scary. I guess it's starting to click that it's all real? it's all happening. Just nervous guess... but any tips will be REALLY appreciated! Or if you've been to uni, tell me how you met people, how you found your safety net of people, etc. Thank you!!

• Ditch the Label Staff

@Marv hey! The group chat is a really good so at least you aren't all complete strangers. I didn't go to uni but everyone tells me that it was a kinda 'good scared' and that almost everyone felt the same way.

There's a few more tips here too:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/5-tips-starting-university/

Staff-Account.png

@Blondie Yeah, good scared is accurate. I just.... the thing is, everyone you ask says 'it's amazing, you'll love it!' but no one says anything about the hard stuff, the scary stuff, how to find your friendship group etc. So it gets kinda hard to know what to expect? if that makes sense..

Thanks for the link! :)

Hey Marv,

I know what you mean, everyone does say it's amazing but it also is hard. And that's the truth, you are meeting lots of new people and that can be scary but its also really fascinating and will help you grow as a person. The great thing about university is that they have loads of student support services so make sure you make good use of them and introduce yourself to them. Remember that everyone will be in the same boat as you and be absolutely bricking. Just like life, not every day will be positive so don't feel bad if you have some struggling days. I definitely enjoyed my university experience as a whole and met friends that I know will be with me for life. There were some challenges and the work load sometimes got overwhelming but I tried to always keep checking in with myself and sharing how I was feeling with the people around me.

I hope this helps Marv, when are you off there? It's freshers this week isn't it?

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

@Remi Thank you so much! Definitely helped. It's good to hear a more honest opinion. I mean I've heard it's tough and weird meeting a whole load of new people, but not many people give that honest review of it, so thank you.

I move in this Saturday and we have a handful of days of freshers stuff before inductions and lectures start. My dad has said that it's definitely weird meeting all the new people, but says to say hello to as many people as I can. So that's what I'm going to try and do. I'm going to offer help to people moving into my flat too when they arrive, offer out tea and games so hopefully I'll get a few on my side. I also have a person I'm meeting up with too,so that's a good start.

Thank you for the message! :)

Thank you so much @Blondie really appreciate it. Haha, thank you! I'll drop a post on here to let y'all know how stuff goes :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! @Remi @Blondie

I just wanted to drop in and say that uni is going far better than I expected it would. I've settled right in, got a few good groups of friends, joined the pride society and I've started lectures too. I'm confident, and your advice really helped - and the advice on this site - so thank you very much! Onwards and up! :D

@Remi

I've joined the Pride society, climbing/mountaineering, and the Geography society I dip in and out of. I've also started going to the gym too which is good. Once I've worked out my schedule I might join another, but for now that's what I'm doing :D

Hey @Marv

Wow keeping yourself busy, that sounds so fun, do the geography club ever go on trips?

Try not to over-subscribe yourself, I think thats definitely enough to stick your teeth into for now and you want to make sure you have enough time to hang out with the people that you meet.

I'm glad you are throwing yourself into uni life Marv :)

Prouda you

remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

• Ditch the Label Staff
Hey! @Remi @Blondie

I just wanted to drop in and say that uni is going far better than I expected it would. I've settled right in, got a few good groups of friends, joined the pride society and I've started lectures too. I'm confident, and your advice really helped - and the advice on this site - so thank you very much! Onwards and up! :D

Late to the party here but yayyyyyyy!!!

Staff-Account.png

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the geog society to trips I think.

Definitely very busy at the moment. A little too busy sometimes. I had some time to read my comic the other night and it was so nice to just sit and not think about anything except for my comic.