How to make friends at uni

Art1234 ย  ย 

Hello,

I have a big problem with making friends. I am an introvert but I am ok with that.

the problem is that this fall I am going to uni in another city where I don't know anyone. I don't have a lot of friends now and I find it hard to talk to others. I spent to years at school all alone and it was very hard for me. However last year I managed to make one friend with whom I lost contact this summer. I think my problem is to maintain a friendship rather than talking to people in the first place. I believe I am not interesting enough and that they will not choose to spend time with me. I also find it hard to speak when I am with a lot of people. I will never say my opinion or anything unless I now them for a lot of time. I am always quiet.

this October I am going to university. the problem is that I won't be able to make friends because I will have to meet 135 people and someone should invite me to join a company which is hard because I am not interesting. I will be chaotic because we will be all in an amphitheater. I don't want to be alone but sometimes I find it easier to leave than talk to disappear. I am scared. Any advice?

• 3 years later...

I'm a lost soul as well I dont know how to make friends all I say is be open and talkative even if it means being awkward I just go up and say hi and ask how they are doing with classes. And stuff sorry this wasn't enoughย 

• Digital Mentor
On 4/11/2023 at 3:19 PM, lolwhat said:

I'm a lost soul as well I dont know how to make friends all I say is be open and talkative even if it means being awkward I just go up and say hi and ask how they are doing with classes. And stuff sorry this wasn't enoughย 

Heyy @lolwhat,ย It's understandable to feel lost or unsure about how to make friends, and I appreciate you sharing your approach of being open and talkative with me. Starting with a simple "hi" and asking how someone is doing is a great way to initiate conversation and show interest in another person. Remember that building friendships takes time, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen right away, from personal experiences I can confidently say that it's a lot of trial and error.

On 4/11/2023 at 3:20 PM, lolwhat said:

I am also shy and quiet I would say to speak up about anything especially if it's opinion just try to put a effectย 

It's common for shy or quiet individuals to struggle with speaking up, but it's important to remember that your opinions and thoughts are valuable and deserve to be heard. If you're feeling nervous about speaking up, start small by sharing your thoughts with a close friend or family member. Would this be a possibility for you? You can also practice speaking up in low-stakes situations, such as offering your opinion on a topic during a casual conversation. As you become more comfortable expressing yourself, you can gradually work your way up to more challenging situations, such as speaking up in a group setting or presenting your ideas in front of a larger audience. Remember that it's okay to make mistakes or feel nervous, and that the more you practice, the more confident you'll become. I do want to encourage you to try putting yourself out there and being friendly, and eventually, you'll find people who share similar interests and enjoy spending time with you. Also, consider joining clubs or groups that align with your interests as it can be a great way to meet like-minded people. How does all of this sound to you?

Staff-Account.png