Pushing people away

awpanda    

Hi I’m Amanda and earlier this year I caused some drama with a friend in my friend group because I was in my feelings and I thought that she didn’t really care about our friendship as much as I did. I guess her mom found out about it and she seemed kind of mad. I guess shes mad at me because a few days ago I texted her to say sorry for the inconvenience I caused and that I hoped we could move on and get past the situation as I learned my lesson. Her daughter and I have already seen the school counselor and made up but have been having a bit of an awkward transition into the friend stage. The fact that her mom didn’t reply though worries me because we’re all kinda close in the friend group and I feel like I might become isolated or something. Just yesterday they went out to the mall and I wasn’t invited and that hurt. I don’t know what to do.

Hello @awpanda

Really it's so normal and natural that friends have minor fall outs especially at school and think that as it has already been spoken about with you school then there should be no reason for your friends mum to get involed. She may just not be replying because she sees it as something between you two and wants to keep some distance from the sitatuation.

What do you think?

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Hey Remi,

You’re right. There’s many reasons why her mom might not respond. But in my mind I feel like she’s most likely mad at me because I texted her daughter just a simple hey and she didn’t answer either. I’m worried that her mom is telling her that I’m not a good friend or to stay away and that it will spread to the group since we’re kind of close and I’ll become more isolated than I already am. My school is small and I don’t want to be labeled for the rest of high school as a bad friend who starts drama because of one mistake.

Hey Awpanda,

I know you are worried about this mistake but it all feels so big inside your head because you are at the centre of it but I promise you for everyone else it isn't such a big deal. Gossip may happen but just remember to not rise to it and try to not get involved with anyone that does want to gossip. Just continue to be a good friend to the people in your life that really matter to you and no one will be allowed to call you a bad friend.

Remi

Hey Remi,

Thank you for all your support. You’re right. It sounds so easy and cliche because everyone says it all the time but people can say what they want but if that doesn’t match the way you act, nobody will believe them. I hope that it isn’t as big as I think it is and that time will heal this. Thank you!

Amanda

Hey Amanda,

That's such a great saying - do you mind if I use it to help others on here? - Usually, the cheesiest ones are the best.

Time heals all wounds, just try to hold your head up high.

Remi