I don’t know what to do about this?

Isoflute    

So I’ve mentioned before about me and this boy I like. And basically we face time a lot at the moment and it all started whilst I was at my grandmas for a week. And then I’ve come home and we still want to face time a lot but every time he asks to face time now I really want to but I scared of my mum or dad comming in. The thing is we aren’t saying or doing anything wrong we are just talking like I would with any of my other friends. It’s just I feel like when they come in and ask who it is I get embarrassed and blush and I just don’t know what to do. They akso joke around d saying is that you boyfriend in that jokey time but they don’t realise I actually like him and I do t k ow how they would take me like ing him and I need to work out how not to blush or make it awkward when they come in my room when he is on face time with me because I really like face timing him because it makes me happy but it makes me feel scared every time he asks. Because for him his parents don’t go into his room because it’s on the other side of his house and when they do I just go off call. And do you have any advice about how I can try and make it not awkward when my mum or dad come in?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend, my best friend, who I've been friends with for 6years. We went round each others houses like several times a week and call each other too. Only recently, we both admitted we liked each other. And I kept it from my parents for ages, until I sort of accidentally told my mom haha. She said 'ahhh, I had a feeling' - she had a feeling we were a thing. Sometimes, they just catch on and get it. But if you're worried about a parent coming in on you both, you could either just say that you like him, keep it quiet, or keep it from them for a bit longer until you're ready. I kept a lot of personal things from my parents for ages until I was ready, when my instincts told me now was the right time to tell, so I did (apart from the accidental one ahah).

Is there a reason you don't want them to know? Is it just embarrassment or something else?

Hello @Isoflute,

It can be a bit icky and embarrassing at first when we are getting to know someone, let alone when we are trying to keep a bit of privacy from our parents. Could you ask your parents to knock on your door before they come in? Or could you just turn the video off when they are in the room briefly so you don't blush Infront of him? He will understand I'm sure if you let him know that your parents might come in then he will be prepared for it.

Cringey moments with parents are just a bit of a part of growing up unfortunately, so try not to panic.

Sending solidarity your way.

REMI

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.