How Do I Know If I'm Straight or Not?

Deep23    

Hi. Umm.. I've thought of myself as straight for a long time? Er, I actually didn't really think about being straight or relationships at all until high school really (i'm currently in high school) and just assumed I was straight. I've never dated anyone and haven't really had crushes. i know I'm interested in at least dating and having romantic relationships with people and have always thought of myself as straight. Lately I've been wondering if.. well i might not be straight? It's really confusing because I'm not certain I'm straight but am really afraid I might subconsciously be doing it because i like the idea?? or just like the idea of being in the lgbt+ community?

I really don't want to take away from the lgbt+ community but i'm still not certain 'm straight? but not certain i'm bi?? and it's really confusing and also kind of scary and i really don't want to screw it up.... i'm comfortable being straight but also.....

i just don't know what to do here. I kind of just want to not think about it and worry about it later but also want to figure it out and.....

any advice?

• Ditch the Label Staff

@Deep23 Hi, thanks for sharing and this really resonates with me. I experienced very similar feelings and ultimately decided to just be open to relationships and experiences to see what naturally 'worked'. For me, it ended up being I identify more as pansexual as I find all sorts of people attractive.

Try not to worry too much about exactly who you are now are attraction can be really fluid and change over our life.

Staff-Account.png

@Deep23

Not thinking about is exactly what I did. It wasn't until I was 18 (so this year) that I kinda started discovering myself? Like you, I was never thinking about relationships, never. I was a naiive child, I didn't know that sometimes boys liked boys and girls liked girls, and I didn't know of therms 'gay', or 'straight' etc etc. It's okay to work yourself out from a far: as I said, I didn't engage in any relationships, I've never had any long term crushes, and I don't pay any attentions to my deep feelings. My brain is quite worked based, I like to do things, I like to look into the future and my goals and all that, so I'd say I never really had the brain space to think about it. A lot of people find this kinda stuff out by being in a relationship, at least one., that way you work yourself out a bit more and decide what you really want and realise your sexuality etc. But also, you can do it from a far. Just waking about day to day, you can find out a lot about yourself. The way I found out I liked girls, and boys, there was a couple months where I was crushing on a guy and a girl. Boom. That's how I found out. I wasn't certain, so I left it for some years and just waited to find out more, I guess? I've realised more that, yes I do like girls - probably more than guys - and I've worked that out without being in any intense relationships. I hope this makes sense lol. There's also no rush either! I'm 18 and only just starting to really figure myself out. Some people know all about themselves at 14, but not everyone does, and that's okay. It's scary, but it's interesting to see how things unfold. So, don't worry too much. Just see how things naturally occur! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like i'm in a similar boat. I'm 21 and have been in two serious relationships with males. But I'm starting to wonder if I might also be attracted to women? I have no idea how to figure it out and feel really lost and unsure of what to do so I don't know if this helps a whole lot but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in thinking this.