I really dont know what to name this...

Anthony IV    

So i was in the shower last night and I was just sitting there, thinking about how AMAZING life is (that is complete sarcastic, btw), and it dawned on me. I found myself wishing that my parents would hate me when I come out as bi so I have a legitimate reason to be depressed. I have no clue how to react to this and am extremely confused. But at the same time I think it makes sense. I dont have a reason to be depressed, but if they were mad at me then I would actually have a reason. I dont know how twisted and broken my mind has to be to come up with this, but what. I mean, how many people wish their parents hated them?!? Please help me. I am so lost. Normally I would talk to my friend, but he doesn't talk to me anymore. Help?

Hello @Anthony IV

What you are feeling is normal. Often we think 'why am I depressed? I have no reason to be" - but depression does not have to have a reason or a rhyme, depression can happen to anyone at any time in their lives as it is essentially a chemical imbalance in your brain.

Remember life is subjective and everyone's pain is specific to them.

I don't think you wish your parents hated you really, you may be wanting to validate your depression, but as I said, your feelings are valid no matter your experience - remember those tips I gave in that other post - i'll copy them here for you:

• Exercise – this releases natural chemicals in the body which lift your mood
  • Talk about your problems – confide in someone you trust or seek counselling - we are always here for you but sometimes it helps to find other people in your life that you can tell how you feel to. A parent, friend or teacher.
  • Practice relaxation techniques like meditation
  • Set yourself small, manageable tasks which are easier to cope with
  • If you feel ashamed, exhausted, guilty, neglectful, worthless – remind yourself that this is the depression ‘talking’
  • You are not a burden. Your loved ones care about you and will want to help
  • You cannot just ‘snap out of it’ – it takes help, support and time
  • Ask a trusted friend or relative to check in with you regularly
  • Allow yourself not to be ‘perfect’ – many people with depression or anxiety set themselves extremely high standards and feel bad if they fail to meet the
  • Remind yourself of all the things you do well – don’t over-focus on something that does not go to plan

You can talk to us whenever you need to.

Remi

Edited by Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Remi

I've been using the rubber band trick so much, my wrist is starting to not even feel the rubber band anymore (idk if that's good or bad). It has really helped!