How to support someone?

Daya    

Here's the situation.

I broke up with this dude a month ago because I didn't want to keep it a secret to my mother. We are still friends. His closest friends are questioning him ever since he came out as bi. I want to tell him it's okay and support him with his sexuality, I want to help him as bi-sexual myself. But I'm his ex I don't know if that's weird. I'm trying to support him in a casual yet comforting way, but I don't know how to do that.

Hello @Daya

That's really lovely that you want to support your friend. I get that it is tricky as you two used to be together. I think it entirely depends on what kind of break up you had. - If it was mutual then maybe you can still have a friendship and you could be a really good person to support him because you know him and empathise with his situation.

Although if he still has feelings for you then it may be painful for him to try and keep contact with you. I think as long as you keep your boundaries clear and let him know that you are there to support him as a friend I think it could be okay.

I hope this helps,

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Hello @Daya

That's really lovely that you want to support your friend. I get that it is tricky as you two used to be together. I think it entirely depends on what kind of break up you had. - If it was mutual then maybe you can still have a friendship and you could be a really good person to support him because you know him and empathise with his situation.

Although if he still has feelings for you then it may be painful for him to try and keep contact with you. I think as long as you keep your boundaries clear and let him know that you are there to support him as a friend I think it could be okay.

I hope this helps,

Remi

Thank you for responding. I think the breakup is mutual, the thing I have trouble with is how to approach him.