Feeling like my appearance has to keep up with instagram

Momma2boys    

So recently I have felt really negatively about myself and my appearance, I scroll through social networking sites and find myself almost looking at all these girls with facial surgery, big boobs, big bums and flat tummy’s and always think to myself why do I not look this way, because society sees this as ‘perfect’ I’m always feeling less than good enough 😟

Hello,

This is such a common worry we all have, I know it's far too easy to compare ourselves to other people. But what you have to remember is that we are all meant to be different, life would be so boring if we all looked the same and had the same body types.

A lot of the images you see have been airbrushed really heavily and also as you have said have had surgery to look the way that they do.

Try to focus on what makes YOU special and great.

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Social media is a massive kick up the ass in terms of physical appearance. I definitely don't fit the 'perfect' woman shape. I haven't got massive boobs, I haven't got a massive ass, I haven't cut much curves. And you know what? Who cares! I'm me. You're you. The media really isn't good considering body image; it isn't. Models everywhere, ads saying 'The right way to wear your top!', there's no wrong way to be you. Posts that tell girls, or even boys, how to wear something, or the 'perfect' way of doing something, is rubbish. Truth is, nothing is perfect. If everything was perfect, then there wouldn't be uniqueness, there wouldn't be the word 'different'. I'll give you one tip, if you're following model accounts, unfollow them. You don't need to see them. Sure, they're cool, they're somewhat inspiring, but they drive people to be something they're not a lot of the time. How I tell people, is: there's a difference between trying out new make up, or trying out a diet to lose some weight because you need to, or changing your life style to better yourself, and there's going on an intense diet, wearing clothes you hate to look like a model. Those are changes you shouldn't feel you must make. I've also found that a lot of models are actually quite unhealthy people. They've had surgery, they go on crazy strict diets, that's not really that good for you. Staying as You means you're as healthy as you can be, if you get me?

Sure, go ahead and try new clothes, new make up, a new fashion trend, a hair style, get a tan, I'm not saying you shouldn't, but if models and media representation of women/men are getting you down, you shouldn't pay attention to them. I'll leave a quote from a TV show now, which I think is very important to remember:

''You are unique in the universe. There is only one of you. And there will never be another."

Hope this helps in some way. And hopefully I got the message across I was hoping to convey d:

Edited by Marv

I was also going through depression at a point in my life so i totally understand what you re saying.i sometimes feel like am not beautiful enough and not good enough for any man .Instagram lowered my self esteem .

@Sofiat Yeah, I sometimes feel like Instagram doesn't help with body image and self esteem at all. I only follow a few people on there who you could consider 'perfect'. Even though they don't come up on my feed much, sponsored posts do and they're sometimes of models and clothing; or the explore page on Instagram too, that has loads of stuff on there that doesn't help with self esteem. I hope you're okay? I try to stay away from posts like that, though it is tricky

Hi @Sofiat

You are beautiful enough and the only thing you should worry about being good enough for is yourself! I know instagram can be a hole of self comparison and it's a good idea to take regular breaks from it.

Please remember you are good enough and you are worthy of love.

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.