Coming out

babybee    

I told my mom that I am in relationship with a girl. She told me that I’m wrong and that I am not a lesbian. She made me choose between my family and my beau. I got physical with my mom too. I’m too embarrassed and hurt to go back home. What should I do? What can I do for my parents to accept my sexuality??

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hi Babybee - I'm so sorry this has happened. Where are you staying now? It's important that you have a safe place while this is ongoing.

I know that in an ideal world our parents / family would automatically be thrilled for us but unfortunately sometimes it can take a lot of processing to move forward. That's not to say that it will always be like this - in many cases parents who have struggled the most to accept can end up being passionate allies.

This article gives some excellent tips https://www.ditchthelabel.org/my-parents-didnt-react-well-to-me-coming-out/ and was written by someone who personally went through this.

Also do you have any extended family or family friends that could speak to your parents either for you or with you?

Staff-Account.png