Someone outed me to my homophobic mom

kxte    

So, I recently discovered I am bisexual. I’m in my first relationship with a girl and I am loving it! She is amazing. The problem is, I was super scared to come out to my mom. Then, someone else did it for me. It went terribly, to say the least. My mom keeps telling me “you’re not gay�. I just don’t even know what to say to her at this point. I just wish she could be more understanding.... any suggestions on how to talk to my mom about this?

Firstly, I'm sorry someone outed you... that's not fair at all.

Secondly, maybe she needs some reassurance? Do you know what the person said to her? Maybe they said it in a bad way? in a bad tone of voice? Maybe just explaining that it's okay, explaining your sexuality, etc etc, she'll be a bit clearer with it? Ultimately, you could do it several ways, you could text her, leave her a note, talk to her about it in the car, go for a walk with her and chat about it, or give her some time and see if she changes.

Edited by Marv

• Ditch the Label Staff

Awesome advice from Marv! of course no one deserves to be outed without their express consent and sometimes parents need some time to process but it doesn't mean that even if you don't have the best coming out experience that it will always be like this. So many parents end up being our strongest allies.

This article covers that so I hope it helps a little: https://www.ditchthelabel.org/my-parents-didnt-react-well-to-me-coming-out/

Sending positivity!

Staff-Account.png

Congratulations on your first relationship - @kxte

You shouldn't have been outed by someone and i'm sorry that happened to you. It's a shame that your mum is still in denial but it doesn't change your identity. As Blondie said - she may need a bit of time to process everything.

Have a read over the article, maybe write her a letter about how you feel?

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

i am also bi and during my last relationship with a girl my cousin outed me to my mom. i thought i could trust her. its been a year and my parents still arent accepting of me. they choose to blame everything from bad grades to mental breakdowns and my depression on my sexuality. for now i have choosen to just give my parents time and hope that they learn to accept me as i am. any advice would also help.

Hey Nikki,

I'm so sorry your family still aren't accepting of you. Have you told them that your struggles in your mental health and bad grades could be coming from their treatment of you? It may be that your parents will never fully understand your sexuality which is something really hard to even think about accepting.

You just have to remember that your identity is valid, you are valid and find spaces outside of him such as local LGBT groups or groups of friends that are accepting of you

We are sending lots of solidarity.

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.