Greetings Neurotypicals (and neurodiverse people)

TwilightStarDragon    

"Greetings Neurotypicals"

BBC's A Kind Of Spark, season 2, episode 1, what's new, Keedie.
I am 13 I'm autistic dyslexic and ADHD I want to be an activist for neurodiversity acceptance and right as well as encourageing young people to read for pleasure 

• Yaaas 1

• Digital Mentor
18 minutes ago, AutisticGirl said:

I am 13 I'm autistic dyslexic and ADHD I want to be an activist for neurodiversity acceptance and right as well as encourageing young people to read for pleasure 

Hi @AutisticGirl I know I have already introduced myself to you in a different post but I just wanted to say

Welcome Aboard Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

It's great to have you here 🙂

That's brilliant that you want to be an activist for neurodiversity acceptance and that you also want to encourage young people to read for pleasure. Thank you for sharing that with us. Is this something you have recently discovered that you would like to do or have you known for a while? Also, can I ask, if you know how you want to go about this or is this something you're still exploring? 

Staff-Account.png

I have wanted to be a neurodiversity advocate/activist since i read the spectrum girls survival guide by siena castellon actually i think it was before then i think i read about her in a book called wonderfully wired brains and found out she founded neurodiversity celebration week when she was like 16 only 2 years older than i am now.
I was brought up surrounded by books being encouraged to read so that's where that came from. I am going to start a podcast and a blog

• Like 1
  • Yaaas 1

• Digital Mentor
20 hours ago, AutisticGirl said:

I have wanted to be a neurodiversity advocate/activist since i read the spectrum girls survival guide by siena castellon actually i think it was before then i think i read about her in a book called wonderfully wired brains and found out she founded neurodiversity celebration week when she was like 16 only 2 years older than i am now.
I was brought up surrounded by books being encouraged to read so that's where that came from. I am going to start a podcast and a blog

That's brilliant - it sounds like you already have a plan! Will you be focusing on both things at once or do you think you'll focus on one thing first? 

I have heard of Siena Castellon and it is truly inspiring, what she has already managed to achieve and how her work is making a difference. I haven't read any of her books yet but will be adding her to my reading list. 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
18 minutes ago, AutisticGirl said:

I'm focusing on the blog first as it is easier and it takes more work it is going to be called Neuro Rambles Art as it ties in with the podcast which is going to be called Neuro Rambles. The blog is going to have lots of diagrams and images as lots of neurodivergent people find visual learning easier it also just more interesting. 

Also another inspiration of mine is Chloé Hayden who is an australian disability advocate and motivational speaker as well as an actor she has also written a book called "Different, Not Less" which is amazing 

That's great that you already know exactly what you want to do. I agree, I also think that it makes it more interesting when you have diagrams and images, rather than just text. It also makes it easier to read somehow when it's broken up like that.

I have heard of Chloe Hayden but mainly through her acting. I didn't realise that she has also written a book - great title. Thank you for letting us know. I will add her name to my list of books to read. Are there any other books you would recommend? 

Staff-Account.png

yes 

non-fiction
I am autistic  and This is ADHD by Chanelle Moriah
the awesome autistics guide to series by Yenn Purkis and Tanya Masterman
the reason i jump by Naoki Higashida
The teenage girls guide to living well with ADHD by Sonia Ali

fiction
A Kind Of Spark by Elle McNicol
Good Different by Meg Eden Kuyatt
Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
Show us who you are by Elle 

• Digital Mentor
53 minutes ago, AutisticGirl said:

yes 

non-fiction

fiction

That's great - thank you so much 😃

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
5 hours ago, AutisticGirl said:

I'm focusing on the blog first as it is easier and it takes more work it is going to be called Neuro Rambles Art as it ties in with the podcast which is going to be called Neuro Rambles. The blog is going to have lots of diagrams and images as lots of neurodivergent people find visual learning easier it also just more interesting. 

Also another inspiration of mine is Chloé Hayden who is an australian disability advocate and motivational speaker as well as an actor she has also written a book called "Different, Not Less" which is amazing 

Hi @AutisticGirl! I’m Mestizo, one of the other Support Mentors with Ditch the Label. I just wanted to add that I love the names selected for your blog and podcast. I can sense the passion you have and I’m grateful for it. I look forward to continuing to get to know you via the various posts you make within the Ditch the Label community. Welcome! 

Hello lovely, im Megs a community member here at DTL. It’s lovely to have you here, if you need anything feel free to tag me and I’ll respond as soon as I can, much love to you!!

🫂

• Like 1

• Digital Mentor
On 5/31/2024 at 11:24 AM, AutisticGirl said:

yes 

non-fiction

fiction

Welcome to the community! I am one of the other support mentors with DTL, love to have you join us. 

Love You Hug GIF by Bare Tree Media

Staff-Account.png

• 1 month later...
  • Digital Mentor
On 5/30/2024 at 11:21 AM, AutisticGirl said:

Hi @AutisticGirl, I just wanted to check in and see how you are doing, as we haven't heard from you in a while? How is your Blog coming along, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure I mentioned this before but I love your enthusiasm in how you approach things 😊

Staff-Account.png

Hi, I'm good, the blog is going well I have lots of posts and likes and even one subscriber! 🙃  

• Digital Mentor
12 hours ago, AutisticGirl said:

Hi, I'm good, the blog is going well I have lots of posts and likes and even one subscriber! 🙃  

That's amazing to hear @AutisticGirl! How have you been feeling having the blog as a platform to express more about you and your thoughts?

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
On 7/19/2024 at 7:32 PM, AutisticGirl said:

That's brilliant, thanks so much for the update. Sounds like people are really interesting in what you have to say 😊 Do you find that it gets easier the more posts you write or are you starting to run out of things to say and it therefore takes longer to come up with the next post?

Also, do you have any tips for others who might be thinking about writing their own blog? 

Staff-Account.png