Coming out as Bisexual?

Zaylee Β  Β 

Okay, so I've recently discovered that I am bisexual. I've come out to my siblings, a few friends, and one of the librarians at my local library. I just don't know how to tell my parents. I've been coming up with some plans to make my coming out experience the best that it can be. I plan on telling my parents on September 23rd. That's National Bisexual Day. Does anyone have any tips on coming out to parents who get really awkward when that comes up in conversations? I've been working on breaking the ice with LGBTQ+ humor, and that seems to be working so far.

42 minutes ago, Zaylee said:

Okay, so I've recently discovered that I am bisexual. I've come out to my siblings, a few friends, and one of the librarians at my local library. I just don't know how to tell my parents. I've been coming up with some plans to make my coming out experience the best that it can be. I plan on telling my parents on September 23rd. That's National Bisexual Day. Does anyone have any tips on coming out to parents who get really awkward when that comes up in conversations? I've been working on breaking the ice with LGBTQ+ humor, and that seems to be working so far.

Have your siblings on standby

Be prepared to explain everything very, very basically

Ask them often if they have any questions or concerns

• Thanks 1

I swear idk where to put this so I came here… 

mom, dad… I’m gay
Β 

*dad makes a fist trying to hold back*

*mom tells dad* no, sweetie..!

dad: HI GAY, IM DAD

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SCARE said:

Have your siblings on standby

Be prepared to explain everything very, very basically

Ask them often if they have any questions or concerns

I'll try my best, thanks for the advice!πŸ‘

• Digital Mentor
On 5/6/2023 at 12:54 AM, Zaylee said:

Heyy @Zaylee, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.Β It takes a lot of courage to come out, and I'm proud of you for taking the steps to be true to yourself and share your identity with the people you care about. It's understandable to feel nervous or uncertain about coming out to your parents, especially if you're not sure how they'll react. It's great that you're planning ahead and thinking about how to approach this conversation with your parents. It sounds like you've already come out to some people who are supportive, which can be a good source of encouragement and strength as you prepare to come out to your parents.

When it comes to talking to your parents, it might be helpful to approach the conversation with compassion and understanding. It's possible that your parents may not have a lot of experience with LGBTQ+ issues, or they may have their own beliefs or biases that they'll need to work through. One strategy might be to start by sharing your own experiences and feelings, and then asking for their support and understanding. You can also provide resources or information about bisexuality and the LGBTQ+ community that might help them better understand and accept your identity. How does this sound to you?

Coming out is a process, and it's okay to take your time and do it in a way that feels comfortable and safe for you. It's also important to prioritize your own well-being and safety, and to have a plan in place in case things don't go as well as you'd hoped. Above all, know that you are valid and loved for who you are, and that there is a whole community of people who support and celebrate you. And hey, I am glad you shared this with us over here on community. HERE FOR YOUUU!

Love Is Love Rainbow GIF

Β 

Staff-Account.png