Coming out to homofobic parents

Amandatristttan    

Hi, umm I just wanted to ask for advice!

My name is Amanda and im bisexual and currently in wonderful relationships with my girlfriend.

I’m planning to move out from my parents house in 3months (far from home and with my gf) and i really want to come out to them but they’re really homofobic. They don’t accept same gender couples. I wanted to write a letter with coming out and announce my relationship to them after move out and send it to them. Is it good idea? I never had good terms with my parents they were kinda toxic to me and I really dont know what to do. I don’t want to loose them but i can’t hide it anymore:( what should i do?

• Hug 1

I think this could be a good idea but it depends on the relationship with the family. I personally have thought of doing something similar when I'm ready to move out, but it honestly depends on what terms your want to leave on with your family. If you are ready to just leave them and not care too much about what they think of you its definitely the most peaceful move. But if you want to really try and savor the relationship with your parents it might be better to tell them in person. But whatever you choose i really hope it goes well for you, and i wish you and your wonderful girlfriend luck. Insert image from URL

if it's not safe to come out, don't do it. i know this might be a hard pill to swallow but your safety comes first, especially if you depend on your parents in some way, for example financially. however, if you think they wouldn't endanger you, and you really feel the need to come out, i think writing the letter would be a good idea. do you have any other family members that are accepting of lgbt+ people? also do you have friends or other people that would support you throughout this? i just want to check in and make sure you are being supported, coming out is already a hard proccess, and even more so when your parents are homophobic

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Amandatristttan said:

Hi, umm I just wanted to ask for advice!

My name is Amanda and im bisexual and currently in wonderful relationships with my girlfriend.

I’m planning to move out from my parents house in 3months (far from home and with my gf) and i really want to come out to them but they’re really homofobic. They don’t accept same gender couples. I wanted to write a letter with coming out and announce my relationship to them after move out and send it to them. Is it good idea? I never had good terms with my parents they were kinda toxic to me and I really dont know what to do. I don’t want to loose them but i can’t hide it anymore:( what should i do?

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice to those who reach out to us. It's wonderful to hear you're moving with your girlfriend; how are you feeling about that? With coming out, I'm wondering, do you want to tell them? You don't have to if you don't want to, but I do appreciate that you can't hide it anymore. Also, how do you think they would react to this news?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e