Bi or Lesbian??

Kingboofus    

Since 7th grade (I’m 20 now and about to finish college), I’ve thought I was bi (I’m female btw). Since Feb 2021 I’ve been talking to a guy I met while I was at a different college and we’ve been talking since. It’s a long distance relationship and we’ve never met. He’s the sweetest thing and treats me like royalty. I’ve never noticed a single red flag. Lately though I’ve been feeling like I’m losing attraction to him… I never found him that physically attractive (which imo doesn’t matter cause it’s all about the personality anyways) but when I think about the future I think of marrying a woman. I find women much more attractive than most men. I’ve never dated or done anything romantic/sexual with a woman. In my past relationships with men I never felt like I loved them. I felt like I was obligated to say I did just because they said it to me. I felt weird kissing them and I never wanted to have sex. I’m just so confused and I don’t want to hurt this guy because he is very sweet and has done nothing wrong. And I know those sexuality quizzes are stupid and can’t determine your sexuality but every one I take tells me I’m a lesbian. Idk what to do.

15 minutes ago, Kingboofus said:

Since 7th grade (I’m 20 now and about to finish college), I’ve thought I was bi (I’m female btw). Since Feb 2021 I’ve been talking to a guy I met while I was at a different college and we’ve been talking since. It’s a long distance relationship and we’ve never met. He’s the sweetest thing and treats me like royalty. I’ve never noticed a single red flag. Lately though I’ve been feeling like I’m losing attraction to him… I never found him that physically attractive (which imo doesn’t matter cause it’s all about the personality anyways) but when I think about the future I think of marrying a woman. I find women much more attractive than most men. I’ve never dated or done anything romantic/sexual with a woman. In my past relationships with men I never felt like I loved them. I felt like I was obligated to say I did just because they said it to me. I felt weird kissing them and I never wanted to have sex. I’m just so confused and I don’t want to hurt this guy because he is very sweet and has done nothing wrong. And I know those sexuality quizzes are stupid and can’t determine your sexuality but every one I take tells me I’m a lesbian. Idk what to do.

Hi, Welcome to DLT. 

So have you even really like loved a man i know you said you liked someone that is a man?

Edited by _mysticalMajesty_

12 minutes ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

Hi, Welcome to DLT. 

So have you even really like loved a man i know you said you liked someone that is a man?

Hello!

im not sure to be honest. I’ve told men that I’ve loved them but usually it’s because I felt pressured/obligated because they told me they loved me

39 minutes ago, Kingboofus said:

Hello!

im not sure to be honest. I’ve told men that I’ve loved them but usually it’s because I felt pressured/obligated because they told me they loved me

ok so what i was thinking was that you liked girls 90% and 10% on liking guys but now i think you may be Lesbian. Sorry if i am not much help

Edited by _mysticalMajesty_

11 minutes ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

ok so what i was thinking was that you liked girls 90% and 10% on liking guys but now i think you may be Lesbian. Sorry if i am not much help

It’s okay! Any input is helpful to me. 

Just now, Kingboofus said:

It’s okay! Any input is helpful to me. 

ok well that is what i know but someone else could say something different but yw

12 hours ago, Kingboofus said:

Hey there,

Thank you for opening up to us about this. I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice to those who reach out. From what you've told us, it sounds like you might need some time to explore your sexuality so that you can maybe have more of an understanding of what you like and don't like. I know you don't want to hurt him, but really, you have to think about what you need the most and then let that guide your decision. What do you think?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

4 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Thank you for opening up to us about this. I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice to those who reach out. From what you've told us, it sounds like you might need some time to explore your sexuality so that you can maybe have more of an understanding of what you like and don't like. I know you don't want to hurt him, but really, you have to think about what you need the most and then let that guide your decision. What do you think?

I know I should tell him because if I were him I’d want someone to tell me if they were no longer attracted to me rather than leaving me in the dark. Im a big people pleaser and even though I don’t have any control over this, it makes me feel guilty because I feel like I should’ve waited before getting into a relationship until I was positive about my sexuality. I know logically that that’s stupid to think that way. A lot of people get into relationships and realize later that they’re not attracted to that gender but I can’t help but feel guilty or like a bad person. I’m going to talk to my therapist about it though and maybe she can help me too. 

• Ditch the Label Staff
19 hours ago, Kingboofus said:

I know I should tell him because if I were him I’d want someone to tell me if they were no longer attracted to me rather than leaving me in the dark. Im a big people pleaser and even though I don’t have any control over this, it makes me feel guilty because I feel like I should’ve waited before getting into a relationship until I was positive about my sexuality. I know logically that that’s stupid to think that way. A lot of people get into relationships and realize later that they’re not attracted to that gender but I can’t help but feel guilty or like a bad person. I’m going to talk to my therapist about it though and maybe she can help me too. 

Hi I'm Blondie, one of the support mentors here. 

That sounds like a great idea to discuss with your therapist. I'd really like to reassure you that you're not a bad person so even though you're feeling guilty, you've not done anything wrong. 

Staff-Account.png

Since this post I have ended things with the boy. He was very understanding (as always) but told me that he would still like to keep in contact as he would find it nearly impossible to lose me completely which I am totally okay with. I feel like it’s only fair for me to respect his wishes as I have hurt him. I don’t mind staying friends with him, things just will be a little different. He’s a great guy and I would hate to lose him as a friend. 

I’ve been doing tons of research in the background regarding my sexuality and some issues regarding my mental illness and how it may correlate (as before I’ve always felt that I may have commitment issues or an avoidant attachment style). I’ve also reached out to my therapist regarding everything that I’m feeling (our next session will be Monday so we will have a lot to talk about then). It was nice to be able to get my feelings out to someone who may be able to help me. I have not yet come to a conclusion about anything other than I have a lot of work to do on myself and I don’t think I’ll be ready for a romantic relationship for awhile (as much as I want one). I don’t want to harm anyone else if I can help it. I have a lot of growing up and self discovery to do and I don’t want to drag someone else into that mess and confusion. I also talked to my mother (who was already aware and supportive of the fact that I am queer) and she gave me some advice too which was nice. While I have a strong suspicion I am lesbian, I don’t want to put a label on myself as I feel like there may be the chance that I’m not and I think that will make things more frustrating for me if feel like I have to keep changing a label. I’m a very structured person and I hate when things change so I think ditching the label for now (haha) would be the most helpful. 

Have you considered using "sapphic" to describe yourself? I know not everyone likes labels, but it's a term that means "I like girls (wlw)" without necessarily blocking out the oppurtunity of men. 

spacer.png (flag) 

1 hour ago, aroacebananas said:

Have you considered using "sapphic" to describe yourself? I know not everyone likes labels, but it's a term that means "I like girls (wlw)" without necessarily blocking out the oppurtunity of men. 

spacer.png (flag) 

I have not thought of that! I’ll keep it in mind for the future but I think for now I’m just going to try to focus on myself and my growth without trying to put a label or description on anything. 

23 hours ago, Kingboofus said:

Since this post I have ended things with the boy. He was very understanding (as always) but told me that he would still like to keep in contact as he would find it nearly impossible to lose me completely which I am totally okay with. I feel like it’s only fair for me to respect his wishes as I have hurt him. I don’t mind staying friends with him, things just will be a little different. He’s a great guy and I would hate to lose him as a friend. 

I’ve been doing tons of research in the background regarding my sexuality and some issues regarding my mental illness and how it may correlate (as before I’ve always felt that I may have commitment issues or an avoidant attachment style). I’ve also reached out to my therapist regarding everything that I’m feeling (our next session will be Monday so we will have a lot to talk about then). It was nice to be able to get my feelings out to someone who may be able to help me. I have not yet come to a conclusion about anything other than I have a lot of work to do on myself and I don’t think I’ll be ready for a romantic relationship for awhile (as much as I want one). I don’t want to harm anyone else if I can help it. I have a lot of growing up and self discovery to do and I don’t want to drag someone else into that mess and confusion. I also talked to my mother (who was already aware and supportive of the fact that I am queer) and she gave me some advice too which was nice. While I have a strong suspicion I am lesbian, I don’t want to put a label on myself as I feel like there may be the chance that I’m not and I think that will make things more frustrating for me if feel like I have to keep changing a label. I’m a very structured person and I hate when things change so I think ditching the label for now (haha) would be the most helpful. 

Hey there,

Yeah, labels work for some people, and not so much, if at all, for others, and all of those scenarios are valid :)

I'm glad you have support from your mum and therapist; both of those will be really helpful for you. I'm wondering, would you like support with anything from us? Is there anything you'd like to talk through here 

2 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Yeah, labels work for some people, and not so much, if at all, for others, and all of those scenarios are valid :)

I'm glad you have support from your mum and therapist; both of those will be really helpful for you. I'm wondering, would you like support with anything from us? Is there anything you'd like to talk through here 

Thank you for reaching out.

I know these things take time and I wish I knew exactly what was causing me to not have feelings for him anymore but I think it could be due to many different reasons: my sexuality, avoidant attachment style, self sabotage, wanting to isolate etc. and I wish I knew exactly what was “wrong” with me. This seems to be a reoccurring theme when it comes to romantic relationships with me and I hate it because I just want to have a long term relationship where I can feel like I romantically love someone. Part of me is just hoping that it’s because I’ve only ever been with men and that’s why things never worked out and I never truly felt like I loved them. The other part of me is scared that I’ll never feel love for someone else in that manner even though I desperately want to. I want to come to a conclusion but I know it’s not realistic and if I rush to put a label on things now I will just risk the chance of having to change it in the future for whatever reason and i hate doing stuff like that. I don’t like changing my mind or plans. And as much as I wish I could have someone tell me what/who I am, I know that’s something I have to figure out myself and that takes time. I appreciate all yalls help though.

Hey there,

I’m wondering, what did your research tell you about the correlation between sexuality and mental health? Also, I noticed what you said about how you wish you knew what was wrong with you. I’m wondering though, could it be that you just haven’t met the right person to develop those feelings for yet? What do you think? 

12 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

I’m wondering, what did your research tell you about the correlation between sexuality and mental health? Also, I noticed what you said about how you wish you knew what was wrong with you. I’m wondering though, could it be that you just haven’t met the right person to develop those feelings for yet? What do you think? 

From what I’m learning it seems that it’s not uncommon for people to mistake their sexuality with possible mental illness issues such as PTSD, commitment issues, avoidant attachment style, self-sabotage, etc. It’s not as black and white as “are you attracted to a certain gender” for some people. And it certainly isn’t as black and white for me. I can definitely understand how one may question their sexuality due to possible mental illness issues or may even blame their sexuality on that. They may say “no I am straight but I have PTSD related to men so that’s why I don’t like them.” And that can definitely be a valid reason, but I can also see why a woman may think they aren’t LGBTQ+ because they attribute not being very attracted to men in that way due to past trauma or other mental health issues (and obviously this can go for any gender and sexuality. I’m just using women/lesbianism as an example as that’s what I’m struggling with).

and like you said, maybe it’s because I either haven’t met the right person or maybe it’s because I’ve never been in a relationship with a woman so it’s harder to distinguish/figure out my sexuality. I want to try dating a woman but I’m afraid of making this mistake again. Sometimes I think that I’ll never romantically love someone and it scares me because I so desperately want to feel that with someone. I guess I won’t know unless I try. I just hate feeling like I’m dragging others into my own personal mess (even though I know logically that’s not something I really have control over). I just need to work on not always putting others feelings before mine. 

Edited by Kingboofus

Hey there,

It's really interesting, thank you for sharing your learnings. I know about academic research in this area, and although there are links between changes in sexuality and mental health in that the changes can then lead to difficulties like stress, anxiety, and depression, research has not shown that having difficulties with mental health can change your sexuality. What do you think about that? I just want to be clear that I'm talking about scientific research here which is different to other forms of information, such as people sharing their own experiences online.

Also, yeah, I think that you really have to try it. I know that you're scared, but I think that if you do have that fear, then it's a sign you should go for it. As I always say, feel the fear and do it anyway because you don't know what you're missing out on otherwise! 

43 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

It's really interesting, thank you for sharing your learnings. I know about academic research in this area, and although there are links between changes in sexuality and mental health in that the changes can then lead to difficulties like stress, anxiety, and depression, research has not shown that having difficulties with mental health can change your sexuality. What do you think about that? I just want to be clear that I'm talking about scientific research here which is different to other forms of information, such as people sharing their own experiences online.

Also, yeah, I think that you really have to try it. I know that you're scared, but I think that if you do have that fear, then it's a sign you should go for it. As I always say, feel the fear and do it anyway because you don't know what you're missing out on otherwise! 

Sorry I feel like I didn’t word my previous reply well. I guess I shouldn’t really consider it mental health issues but more so past trauma or experiences. I don’t see how things such as depression or anxiety change someone’s sexuality (although I understand how a change in sexuality can influence mental health and can create feelings of depression and anxiety). I’m saying that I think past trauma/experiences (or lack of experiences) can confuse someone on their sexuality. I have yet to find any resources saying that mental illness changes sexuality. I’m mainly just referencing what others have voiced about their experience in discovering their sexuality. I think it can be easy to confuse past trauma issues with sexuality but I’m not saying that those issues can change your true sexuality. I believe that sexuality is something in and of itself and not often influenced by outside things. I’m not sure if I’m making that make sense. Kind of like the example I gave before: a girl has had trauma related to men in the past and finds it hard now to feel connection/attraction because of this PTSD/fear and may take that and assume that she’s lesbian (but in reality maybe she still is sexually attracted to men but just needs to take time to work through her fear and trauma). And vise versa I think a girl could really be lesbian but because of societal norms, she may try to make other connections (such as blaming past trauma…  even though they probably don’t have anything to do with sexuality) to explain her lack of attraction to men. Not to mention I think there definitely is a somewhat unconscious feeling of feeling like you HAVE to be straight. And it may be one of the reasons one might ignore or push away their true sexuality and try to make other connections/excuses as to why they are attracted to the same gender (such as underlying trauma or experiences). 

I guess the point I’m trying to get at is that I think for a lot of people the journey isn’t so black and white and doesn’t always just come down to “are you attracted to the same gender? Then you’re gay.” I think for a lot of people (myself included) the signs that could point to someone being of a certain sexuality can be very muddy and one may find other reasons (not related to sexuality) to explain their thoughts and feelings just like I have. 

I have a lot of mental health issues and past trauma and while I don’t think that changes one’s sexuality, I can understand (as I do it myself) why one may get confused and try to make a connection between the two. There is a possibility that I am lesbian but I still tend to make other excuses or reasonings as to why I’m not attracted to men. I think I may deep down feel frustrated or ashamed that I may not be bisexual. I don’t mean that as in I’m not accepting or loving of other sexualities, I just hate questioning myself as it makes me feel as though I don’t truly know myself and that scares me. I thought for so long that I was purely bisexual but now I’m not so sure which is scary and frustrating to me and I find myself trying to make excuses (that have nothing to do with my sexuality) to explain my lack of attraction to men (ex. I have past trauma with men, I have an avoidant attachment style and therefor no matter who my partner is, I will struggle with being close to anyone no matter the gender). Part of me also thinks that maybe I am trying to make these connections between my sexuality and past trauma/experiences because of the years of societal pressure and norms to be straight. my family is accepting and supportive of me but part of me can’t help but feel ashamed as I feel like I have let them down because I’m not what they would consider a “normal” daughter. 

On 12/14/2022 at 7:36 PM, Kingboofus said:

Sorry I feel like I didn’t word my previous reply well. I guess I shouldn’t really consider it mental health issues but more so past trauma or experiences. I don’t see how things such as depression or anxiety change someone’s sexuality (although I understand how a change in sexuality can influence mental health and can create feelings of depression and anxiety). I’m saying that I think past trauma/experiences (or lack of experiences) can confuse someone on their sexuality. I have yet to find any resources saying that mental illness changes sexuality. I’m mainly just referencing what others have voiced about their experience in discovering their sexuality. I think it can be easy to confuse past trauma issues with sexuality but I’m not saying that those issues can change your true sexuality. I believe that sexuality is something in and of itself and not often influenced by outside things. I’m not sure if I’m making that make sense. Kind of like the example I gave before: a girl has had trauma related to men in the past and finds it hard now to feel connection/attraction because of this PTSD/fear and may take that and assume that she’s lesbian (but in reality maybe she still is sexually attracted to men but just needs to take time to work through her fear and trauma). And vise versa I think a girl could really be lesbian but because of societal norms, she may try to make other connections (such as blaming past trauma…  even though they probably don’t have anything to do with sexuality) to explain her lack of attraction to men. Not to mention I think there definitely is a somewhat unconscious feeling of feeling like you HAVE to be straight. And it may be one of the reasons one might ignore or push away their true sexuality and try to make other connections/excuses as to why they are attracted to the same gender (such as underlying trauma or experiences). 

I guess the point I’m trying to get at is that I think for a lot of people the journey isn’t so black and white and doesn’t always just come down to “are you attracted to the same gender? Then you’re gay.” I think for a lot of people (myself included) the signs that could point to someone being of a certain sexuality can be very muddy and one may find other reasons (not related to sexuality) to explain their thoughts and feelings just like I have. 

I have a lot of mental health issues and past trauma and while I don’t think that changes one’s sexuality, I can understand (as I do it myself) why one may get confused and try to make a connection between the two. There is a possibility that I am lesbian but I still tend to make other excuses or reasonings as to why I’m not attracted to men. I think I may deep down feel frustrated or ashamed that I may not be bisexual. I don’t mean that as in I’m not accepting or loving of other sexualities, I just hate questioning myself as it makes me feel as though I don’t truly know myself and that scares me. I thought for so long that I was purely bisexual but now I’m not so sure which is scary and frustrating to me and I find myself trying to make excuses (that have nothing to do with my sexuality) to explain my lack of attraction to men (ex. I have past trauma with men, I have an avoidant attachment style and therefor no matter who my partner is, I will struggle with being close to anyone no matter the gender). Part of me also thinks that maybe I am trying to make these connections between my sexuality and past trauma/experiences because of the years of societal pressure and norms to be straight. my family is accepting and supportive of me but part of me can’t help but feel ashamed as I feel like I have let them down because I’m not what they would consider a “normal” daughter. 

Hey,

Thank you for explaining the point about sexuality and mental health. I noticed what you said about how you may feel frustrated or ashamed deep down that you may not be bisexual, and I'm wondering, can you tell me more about that? Is this related to what you said after about how you hate questioning yourself and the societal pressures and what some think a 'normal daughter' should be?

59 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Thank you for explaining the point about sexuality and mental health. I noticed what you said about how you may feel frustrated or ashamed deep down that you may not be bisexual, and I'm wondering, can you tell me more about that? Is this related to what you said after about how you hate questioning yourself and the societal pressures and what some think a 'normal daughter' should be?

Yes it’s kind of a mixture of both. I just thought I was so sure about my sexuality and now I feel like I may have never been bisexual to begin with. I feel as though I only ever thought I liked men because of societal pressures and in the beginning, my mother wasn’t as accepting. I’ve been struggling a lot lately with myself and I feel as though I have no idea who I am. And for the longest time one of the few things that I thought I knew about myself was my sexuality but now I don’t even know that anymore. I struggle with change and this is just one more thing changing right now and it’s become very stressful. 

as far as the whole “normal” daughter thing, I know my family is accepting of my sexuality, no matter what it may be. They love me and told me that they don’t care who I love as long as I’m happy. But I’m always much harder on myself and tend to hold myself to unrealistic standards and I overthink. I convince myself that even though my parents have told me they love me and don’t care about my sexuality, I’m still a disappointment to them.

Hey,

Yeah, change is stressful for anyone, especially when it's something as big as how your life might be different depending on your sexuality once you've figured it out. It's pretty much in human nature to want to know who we are, and we do that by using labels to describe ourselves. When we aren't in a position to do that, it can make us feel quite unbalanced, which is totally understandable. However, although it might not seem like it now, it's important to remember that it won't always be like this; trust the process and know that one day, you will have all of these answers. What do you think?

Also, it's interesting that you convince yourself that your'e a disappointment to them despite how they are accepting of you. I'm wondering, what do you think your parents want for you? What kind of life do they want you to lead?

47 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Yeah, change is stressful for anyone, especially when it's something as big as how your life might be different depending on your sexuality once you've figured it out. It's pretty much in human nature to want to know who we are, and we do that by using labels to describe ourselves. When we aren't in a position to do that, it can make us feel quite unbalanced, which is totally understandable. However, although it might not seem like it now, it's important to remember that it won't always be like this; trust the process and know that one day, you will have all of these answers. What do you think?

Also, it's interesting that you convince yourself that your'e a disappointment to them despite how they are accepting of you. I'm wondering, what do you think your parents want for you? What kind of life do they want you to lead?

Thank you. I know this takes time as much as I wish I could figure it out all right now. 

As for my parents, I don’t think they have a preference when it comes to sexuality and who I love. I think as long as I’m happy and my partner treats me well and we are able to support each other then they are happy for me. And I know they would only be judgmental towards my partner if they felt I was being mistreated or if they felt like my partner couldn’t help support me. Other than that I know they’d be accepting of whoever I choose to spend the rest of my life with. I know they want me to be successful and have a career that is fulfilling but also provides me with enough finances to support myself. They don’t put any pressure on me when it comes to getting married to someone or starting my own family. I’ve told them before that I’m not interested in having kids and they seem to not have an issue with that which is nice. I just tend to get in my head a lot and convince myself otherwise even though I have no solid evidence to back it up.

15 hours ago, Kingboofus said:

Thank you. I know this takes time as much as I wish I could figure it out all right now. 

As for my parents, I don’t think they have a preference when it comes to sexuality and who I love. I think as long as I’m happy and my partner treats me well and we are able to support each other then they are happy for me. And I know they would only be judgmental towards my partner if they felt I was being mistreated or if they felt like my partner couldn’t help support me. Other than that I know they’d be accepting of whoever I choose to spend the rest of my life with. I know they want me to be successful and have a career that is fulfilling but also provides me with enough finances to support myself. They don’t put any pressure on me when it comes to getting married to someone or starting my own family. I’ve told them before that I’m not interested in having kids and they seem to not have an issue with that which is nice. I just tend to get in my head a lot and convince myself otherwise even though I have no solid evidence to back it up.

Hey there,

That's a really good point about getting in your head but not actually having evidence to back up the thoughts, and we all struggle with this at some point. It sounds like you have a really supportive family around you, and that must be a lovely feeling. The next time you feel yourself getting in your head, maybe try to ground yourself by thinking about the evidence you have for the thoughts. What do you think?

4 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

That's a really good point about getting in your head but not actually having evidence to back up the thoughts, and we all struggle with this at some point. It sounds like you have a really supportive family around you, and that must be a lovely feeling. The next time you feel yourself getting in your head, maybe try to ground yourself by thinking about the evidence you have for the thoughts. What do you think?

I try to do that. It’s still something I’m working on with my therapist. She says I’m in my head too much and that I’m too hard on myself. It just feels like I can’t control it at this point. If I want to not overthink I have to always stay busy or dissociate. I’ll keep working on it though.

Hey there,

I'm glad you're working on it with your therapist; they are the best person to help you at this point as they have that knowledge of what's going on for you and also the skills and qualifications to help you move forward. I'm wondering, would you like anymore support from us? You can talk to us about absolutely anything; we will follow your lead :)