Should I come out?

nerrad    

My father still believes being gay is wrong and my mom can be very religious she says to like people of the same gender is against gods wishes. My oldest brother is also homophobic and I have no clue where my other brothers stand. I feel like if I come out I will be disowned please help.

I believe you should slowly start introducing them to the idea through the use of the Bible. Like use the commandants because they talk about treating people equally, love your neighborhood like you love yourself. And how the Bible states that we are only human we are not allowed to judge other people that's God's job but God is forgiving and accepting. Come out without softening the blow maybe cause issues try to ease them into it without giving yourself away.

Hey Nerrad,

Welcome! Thanks for sharing!

Great ideas from Labelled. Those sound like they will be really helpful!

Here's an article, of ours, around coming out to parents who are/might be homophobic.. have you read it?

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/coming-out-homophobic-parents/

Maybe a chat with your other brother about sexuality may be a good start, if you feel like he may be a little more open to acceptance?

Hope this helps!

-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.