im bi..how do i come out?

chrissy_x0 Β  Β 

im 13 and bisexual. i really took a while to figure myself out, but now that I’m sure, how do i come out to my parents? my older brother is gay, and my parents are fully aware of that. im not sure if my dad isnt homophobic, but im sure my mom isnt. how do i tell them? tysm, xx.

• Digital Mentor
12 hours ago, chrissy_x0 said:

im 13 and bisexual. i really took a while to figure myself out, but now that I’m sure, how do i come out to my parents? my older brother is gay, and my parents are fully aware of that. im not sure if my dad isnt homophobic, but im sure my mom isnt. how do i tell them? tysm, xx.

Hi @chrissy_x0, welcome to the community! It's lovely to have you here. I'm Aurora and I'm one the support mentors here. I give support and advice to those who reach out to us. I'm glad you found us. Ditch the Label is a really welcoming and supportive community and there are lots of others here who have been in a similar situation to you and can relate to how you feel.Β 

It's lovely to hear that you have taken the time to figure out who you are and it sounds like you feel comfortable in the knowledge that you are bisexual. And it is completely normal to feel scared about coming out to your parents as we never know for sure how someone will react until we have spoken to them. You mentioned that your older brother is gay and your parents are fully aware. Do you know how they reacted when he came out? Also, do you mind me asking if you have you come out to your older brother or maybe anyone else in the family?Β 

Staff-Account.png

hi aurora! yes, I’ve come out to my little brother, but not my older one. I’ve never heard my brother come out to my parents, but I know they are comfortable with it because his boyfriend comes over a lot, and my parents are fully aware of it.

• Ditch the Label Staff
16 hours ago, chrissy_x0 said:

hi aurora! yes, I’ve come out to my little brother, but not my older one. I’ve never heard my brother come out to my parents, but I know they are comfortable with it because his boyfriend comes over a lot, and my parents are fully aware of it.

Hey, I'm Blondie, one of the support mentors here.

This sounds really positive. Sometimes coming out can be made a little easier with the support of a friend / relative - do you think your brother would do this with you?

Staff-Account.png

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2022 at 6:43 AM, Blondie said:

Hey, I'm Blondie, one of the support mentors here.

This sounds really positive. Sometimes coming out can be made a little easier with the support of a friend / relative - do you think your brother would do this with you?

of course! i've always had an amazing relationship w/ him -- we adore eachother very much. even though i'm sure my parents aren't homophobic, i'm still nervous.

22 hours ago, chrissy_x0 said:

of course! i've always had an amazing relationship w/ him -- we adore eachother very much. even though i'm sure my parents aren't homophobic, i'm still nervous.

Hey there,

It's totally normal to be nervous even though it sounds like they've accepted your brother completely. It's a big moment and it's completely normal to feel this way. I'm wondering, could you maybe tell your brother and then ask how he came out and take some pointers from him if that's not too much?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e