Some things.

So...

Sometimes my parents or grandparents or really anyone I know will question my sexuality. At any point of time if I bring up the topic of my sexuality and say that I'm bi (which is quite seldom), they will reply with something along the lines of, "Nah, I don't think so, u prob just say so because you want attention.Stop it, it's annoying And just continue to talk about something else like nothing happened.

My parents also only buy me or allow me to buy "girly" clothes. Which, I don't really like, I think that I am not able to express myself and am just hiding under the portrait my parents had painted. I guess it is not too big of a problem, though I really wish I could dress however I wanted to.

Also I guess it's not the most suitable topic category but I don't know how to change it.

• Digital Mentor
3 hours ago, Skylar Veronica said:

So...

Sometimes my parents or grandparents or really anyone I know will question my sexuality. At any point of time if I bring up the topic of my sexuality and say that I'm bi (which is quite seldom), they will reply with something along the lines of, "Nah, I don't think so, u prob just say so because you want attention.Stop it, it's annoying And just continue to talk about something else like nothing happened.

My parents also only buy me or allow me to buy "girly" clothes. Which, I don't really like, I think that I am not able to express myself and am just hiding under the portrait my parents had painted. I guess it is not too big of a problem, though I really wish I could dress however I wanted to.

Also I guess it's not the most suitable topic category but I don't know how to change it.

Hi there, Welcome to Ditch the Label. I'm Aurora and I'm one of the support mentors here. I give support and advice to those who reach out to us. I'm glad you found us. There are lots of other's here who have experienced similar things and this is a very accepting and supportive community. 

Thank you for telling us about what has been going on with your parents and grandparents. I can imagine it must be really frustrating for you and it sounds like they aren't fully accepting yet of who you are. Sometimes this does take time. Am I right in thinking that you've come out to your parents and grandparents. How did that go and how long ago was it? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aurora said:

Hi there, Welcome to Ditch the Label. I'm Aurora and I'm one of the support mentors here. I give support and advice to those who reach out to us. I'm glad you found us. There are lots of other's here who have experienced similar things and this is a very accepting and supportive community. 

Thank you for telling us about what has been going on with your parents and grandparents. I can imagine it must be really frustrating for you and it sounds like they aren't fully accepting yet of who you are. Sometimes this does take time. Am I right in thinking that you've come out to your parents and grandparents. How did that go and how long ago was it? 

Yeah, you are right.I first ce out to my parents 2 years ago and to my grandparents 1 year ago.

For my parents they did not really believe me and like, they basically said that I didn't know what I was talking about, how "it's not possible", how it's "unnatural "[I'm not sure of their homophobic, they just seem to not fully believe that it's real]

For my grandparents, they said that they didn't believe me and that I was being dramatic.Though, I feel that they may have some internalised homophobia and didn't want to accept that I was bi.

• Digital Mentor
19 hours ago, Skylar Veronica said:

Yeah, you are right.I first ce out to my parents 2 years ago and to my grandparents 1 year ago.

For my parents they did not really believe me and like, they basically said that I didn't know what I was talking about, how "it's not possible", how it's "unnatural "[I'm not sure of their homophobic, they just seem to not fully believe that it's real]

For my grandparents, they said that they didn't believe me and that I was being dramatic.Though, I feel that they may have some internalised homophobia and didn't want to accept that I was bi.

Thank you for sharing this with me. I'm sorry to hear that coming out to your family wasn't a very positive experience.  How was it for you and how did it make you feel, when your parents and grandparents didn't seem to believe you? I just wanted to reassure you that it's perfectly natural to be bi. I've noticed that it often takes a while for parents to process that their child is bi and hopefully with time your parents and grandparents will fully accept who you are. 

You mentioned that your parents only allow you to have girlie clothes. I think you make a really important point there, when you say that you're not able to express yourself. Have you spoke to your parents about this and explained it to them?