Blackmailed on insta/whatsapp

Riley D    

I got a follow request by a girl and she got me to send me a lewd photo of myself. She then told me to get on whatsapp and add her. Some guy is saying he will make my life hell if I don't pay him $3000. he said he'll post youtube, daily motion, facebook, "nanional geography", planet, twitter, etc. He said he'll send it to everyone on my instagram list. I know it is a scam, but I already paid him $300 dollars. He said that nothing can be deleted off the internet, but he can make this "disc" go away. I think he is serious because he sent me photos of everyone on my instagram list. What do I do?

10 hours ago, Riley Daniel said:

I got a follow request by a girl and she got me to send me a lewd photo of myself. She then told me to get on whatsapp and add her. Some guy is saying he will make my life hell if I don't pay him $3000. he said he'll post youtube, daily motion, facebook, "nanional geography", planet, twitter, etc. He said he'll send it to everyone on my instagram list. I know it is a scam, but I already paid him $300 dollars. He said that nothing can be deleted off the internet, but he can make this "disc" go away. I think he is serious because he sent me photos of everyone on my instagram list. What do I do?

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Ditch the Label. I'm one of the digital mentors and I give advice to the community members.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're being blackmailed to stop your nudes leaking. I can imagine that this is quite stressful for you and I just want you to know we are here to help you through this. Just so you know, things from the internet can be deleted, and if anything is posted to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram or TikTok, we have a special reporting system that we can use to help get this removed.

In this case, because you have already paid him money, I would strongly recommend that you block him and report to the police. They have already got money now which was their motivation, and if you block them, they have nothing to gain by then releasing the pictures as they won't be able to contact you, so it's highly likely that they will move on. What do you think?

Also, as general tips, make all of your social media accounts private and do not accept requests from unknown people. You can ask your follower list to block the account if you know their username. What do you think? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

On 9/21/2022 at 4:20 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Ditch the Label. I'm one of the digital mentors and I give advice to the community members.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're being blackmailed to stop your nudes leaking. I can imagine that this is quite stressful for you and I just want you to know we are here to help you through this. Just so you know, things from the internet can be deleted, and if anything is posted to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram or TikTok, we have a special reporting system that we can use to help get this removed.

In this case, because you have already paid him money, I would strongly recommend that you block him and report to the police. They have already got money now which was their motivation, and if you block them, they have nothing to gain by then releasing the pictures as they won't be able to contact you, so it's highly likely that they will move on. What do you think?

Also, as general tips, make all of your social media accounts private and do not accept requests from unknown people. You can ask your follower list to block the account if you know their username. What do you think? 

Today is September 25th, almost one week since the incident, I woke up to a call from an unknown number thought it was someone calling the wrong phone. I answered it and it immediately dropped the call. I looked right after and saw it was the same person messaging me but from a different number. They were threatening to put it on Facebook and showed pictures of my friends. They were also going to put it on YouTube which is a lie because it would get taken down easily. I got up and blocked that number and went to the police station but they only have a phone. I am finally going to the police on Monday but what should I do now.

3 hours ago, Riley D said:

Today is September 25th, almost one week since the incident, I woke up to a call from an unknown number thought it was someone calling the wrong phone. I answered it and it immediately dropped the call. I looked right after and saw it was the same person messaging me but from a different number. They were threatening to put it on Facebook and showed pictures of my friends. They were also going to put it on YouTube which is a lie because it would get taken down easily. I got up and blocked that number and went to the police station but they only have a phone. I am finally going to the police on Monday but what should I do now.

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear that they contacted you again. However, I am glad you went to the police station. That was a smart thing to do and they will be able to help you. If you get anymore calls from an unknown number, do not answer. Also, I'm wondering, could you potentially change your number? 

• 1 month later...

Update: Today I got a text message claiming that they are interpol. They claimed their name was Kevin Walker, and then was explaining a what interpol is. They then attached a very photoshopped picture of their badge with the name Kevin Walter. Obviously I think it's the blackmailed trying to reach out again. I can provide pictures of need be.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:09 PM, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear that they contacted you again. However, I am glad you went to the police station. That was a smart thing to do and they will be able to help you. If you get anymore calls from an unknown number, do not answer. Also, I'm wondering, could you potentially change your number? 

On 11/11/2022 at 5:12 PM, Riley D said:

Update: Today I got a text message claiming that they are interpol. They claimed their name was Kevin Walker, and then was explaining a what interpol is. They then attached a very photoshopped picture of their badge with the name Kevin Walter. Obviously I think it's the blackmailed trying to reach out again. I can provide pictures of need be.

Hey there,

Interpol would not contact you like this. I would block them and pass this information onto the police as further evidence for your case. Is that okay?