i cant go to mcdonalds anymore with my grandparents ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​:(

luci    

me and my siblings were staying at our grandparents for a couple of days and we were going to eat out somewhere, so my little sister (7) was like "can we go to mcdonalds and get a happy meal?" and my grandma was like "no, we  don't eat there anymore because mcdonalds is too woke" like im not kidding that's an exact quote i litterally had no idea how conservative my grandparents were (especiially my grandma) untill recently, but like wtf

• Digital Mentor
13 hours ago, -iris- said:

me and my siblings were staying at our grandparents for a couple of days and we were going to eat out somewhere, so my little sister (7) was like "can we go to mcdonalds and get a happy meal?" and my grandma was like "no, we  don't eat there anymore because mcdonalds is too woke" like im not kidding that's an exact quote i litterally had no idea how conservative my grandparents were (especiially my grandma) untill recently, but like wtf

Hi @-iris-, I'm Aurora and I'm one of the support mentors here at Ditch the Label. I give support to those who reach out to us.

Thanks for sharing how you feel with us. It can be really frustrating when we start to realise that family members have  different views to us. How do you normally get on with your grandparents?  

Staff-Account.png

as long as i dont say anything political or anything related to gay rights everything's fine and i usually enjoy being at their house, but the whole hyper-Christian, far right, and  homophobia thing (im still closeted, and im not christian anymore)  can be annoying

Edited by -iris-
oops 4got to quote so u could tell i was replying

10 hours ago, Aurora said:

Hi @-iris-, I'm Aurora and I'm one of the support mentors here at Ditch the Label. I give support to those who reach out to us.

Thanks for sharing how you feel with us. It can be really frustrating when we start to realise that family members have  different views to us. How do you normally get on with your grandparents?  

as long as i dont say anything political or anything related to gay rights everything's fine and i usually enjoy being at their house, but the whole hyper-Christian, far right, and  homophobia thing (im still closeted, and im not christian anymore)  can be annoying

9 hours ago, -iris- said:

as long as i dont say anything political or anything related to gay rights everything's fine and i usually enjoy being at their house, but the whole hyper-Christian, far right, and  homophobia thing (im still closeted, and im not christian anymore)  can be annoying

Hey,

Yeah, I can totally see why that would be annoying. With the McDonald's thing, did they say why they feel it's too woke? Also, what homophobic things do they say? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

11 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Yeah, I can totally see why that would be annoying. With the McDonald's thing, did they say why they feel it's too woke? Also, what homophobic things do they say? 

I asked what made McDonalds "woke" but they said I was too young to understand, and my grandma got into a disagreement because she was playing this christian station on the radio and they were talking about how oppressed Christians are in America and i said that I dont think christians are oppressed in America, maybe other countries but not here, and she said something about how "You never see Christian flags flown anywhere, but all these companies are flying the gay flag everywhere" , and I said it's probably because being gay isn't a religion then she started talking about how being gay is a religion because "they are all worshipping their sin." but conversations like this are extremely difficult because i still have to act like i dont support gay or trans people, and that im christian

Hey,

Yeah, I can completely see why this is a tricky experience for you. I agree with you in that i don't feel Christians are oppressed in America; the religion is so big. I'm wondering, what would it be like if you did open up about how you support the LGBTQ+ community?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e