i dont know what to do

brighteststar Β  Β 
Go to solution Solved by Blondie,

hey, i'm part of the prefects at my school, and some of my best friends are in charge of that. One of the projects we are working on is an lgbtqi+ assembly and day at our catholic school. Most of the team is straight and one of my friends is in charge of the whole team and delegating roles. there has been uproar at my school regarding the main girl who was delegated the task is homophobic and has used slurs, which she says where in context, and the openly queer community at my school is rightly upset. my friend see's no problem with replacing her with another straight girl. we got into a bit of an argument but i didnt want to sound too passionate as im closeted and im not ready to come out. she doesnt get how derogatory she is and she is being backed up by others. how do i bring this up without upsetting her, shes not good at seeing when she is wrong, and without letting her know its a personal issue? when i last brought it up trying to show her why the queer community at school is upset she told me they were being prejudiced to straight people, and everyone backed her up. i feel like im in a losing battle.Β 

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @brighteststar Welcome to the Community! 😊

I am Daisie a Community Warden here on the forums and I wanted to send you a warm welcome. We have Trained Digital Mentors on hand to offer support and advice, I will tag them in so you know who they are and so they can reach out to you. @Blondie

Look forward to seeing you in the Community, if you have any questions please just reach out!Β 

Β 

Β 

• Ditch the Label Staff
  • Solution
1 hour ago, brighteststar said:

hey, i'm part of the prefects at my school, and some of my best friends are in charge of that. One of the projects we are working on is an lgbtqi+ assembly and day at our catholic school. Most of the team is straight and one of my friends is in charge of the whole team and delegating roles. there has been uproar at my school regarding the main girl who was delegated the task is homophobic and has used slurs, which she says where in context, and the openly queer community at my school is rightly upset. my friend see's no problem with replacing her with another straight girl. we got into a bit of an argument but i didnt want to sound too passionate as im closeted and im not ready to come out. she doesnt get how derogatory she is and she is being backed up by others. how do i bring this up without upsetting her, shes not good at seeing when she is wrong, and without letting her know its a personal issue? when i last brought it up trying to show her why the queer community at school is upset she told me they were being prejudiced to straight people, and everyone backed her up. i feel like im in a losing battle.Β 

Hi there, I can completely see your point and why you’re upset whether out or not.

When you meet, is there a way you can suggest inviting in students who are out and belong to the LGBTQIA+ community.

Could you point out that one of the responsibilities of being a good ally is raising other people’s voices and lived experiences?

I’m wondering if you have any teaching staff involved that could communicate this to the group so you don’t bear the responsibility alone?

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png