Why do smoke alarms go off for no reason?

randomguy    

Sp basically yesterday it was nearly midnight and the smoke alarms decided to off. My mum said there was no smoke or fire. It was just a false alarm. We have 3 which are interconnected. My mum tried taking the batteries out but they still went off afterwards (i think ours have back up system . So my mum just turned the power (as theirs a switch in our garage) for smoke alarms off so we could get some sleep. We will try to sort it later. But why do they go off for no reason? It pretty much scared us for no reason. ?

Also this has never happened before.

My alarm would go off a lot when the batteries needed changing, maybe you should change them to see?

Also I have a C02 alarm which I thought was a fire alarm going off, turns out my house was just a little gassy.

Hey RandomGuy,

This is definitely strange! All three going off together is not a normal thing.

There may be a possibility that your smoke alarms are carbon monoxide detectors, as well.

Please let us know what you find out.

-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

I dunno either and also isn't carbon monoxide gas? but we have nothing like gas cooker/oven etc... So it's unlikely for our alarms to be Carbon monoxide. Also the weird thing is i thought if it's battery low it ussually makes chirping sound and it was actual alarm that time

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

My mum forgot about sorting them out. I dunno what to do as it's dangerous for me (as I'm on my own on the house till sat) as I kn it's safer to have them on. But I don't want to turn them On Incase it still happens and it also scared my hamster at the time (he shivered and then went into his hdiding place) so what should I do as I'm scared in the unlikely event if a fire did happen. I wouldn't know in time. What would you suggest?

Hey RandomGuy,

I would be concerned, too, if I was left alone without the smoke alarms sorted.

I know you aren't really fond of the idea of reaching out to authority, but if you're very worried, I would suggest you call the fire department to come out and check. It's better to be safe than sorry! And fire people tend to be very understanding, as well as informed!

Hope this helps!

-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.