I like wearing men's clothes even though i'm a woman

anthonlezvic    

I really like wearing men's clothes but my mom is always buying me really femenine ones, even though I don't mind them. The thing is sometimes I really like being femenine but other times I don't and I don't think neither of my parents understand this, but at the same time I haven't told them. So the issue it I have no idea of how to make them understand when I tell them.

On another note... is there a name for being like this? I don't really know because from where I am there isn't much talk about this themes.

You could be genderfluid, or genderflux, but again - this is based around your gender presentation, or what you like to wear. So you could simply identify as something else, say cisgender (so connected to the gender you were assigned at birth), or trans (not connected to the gender you were assigned at birth), and either is okay, while wearing this, as I'm not you. So I'd recommend you search/research different things about this topic, and see what 'clicks' with you, or you can relate to who you are, and use that label for a while to see if you like it, but that's just a suggestion.

Hey anthonlezvic (and obelisk),

Thank you for bringing this question to Community!

The truth is-- there is really no separation between ?men? and ?women's? clothing. There's just clothing. And, yes, businesses advertise a certain way which is both for monetary purposes as well as reinforcing gender roles and expectations in society.

It sounds like you know your style. You mention not minding wearing ?feminine? clothing, but do you feel beautiful in those clothes (I presume we are talking about dresses/skirts, pinks and purples, and things like flower prints)?

You should dress, behave, and do activities that inspire you, always! It's okay to want to wear more ?masculine? clothes one day, and more ?feminine? clothes another day-- it's all about the expression that fits you, in that moment. Your creativity/expression is for no one else to decide.

Some people find it helpful if there is one word that completely summarizes how they feel and behave. I do not believe labeling ourselves is necessary? but if labels are used, it's good to use them as a conversation starter to help others understand your choices. Many people will be curious about anything that is not comparable to typical gender roles/expression.

Obelisk! I would love to know your thoughts: Do you think it's helpful to go from one label (when you're born), to realizing that label doesn't suit you, to finding a word that does seem to fit with you-- resulting in putting yourself in another label? What are the benefits of defining your actions with one word? Does it help you find more accepting community?

-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

I'd say it helps with finding an accepting/supportive community, and also may help you feel like you know a bit more about yourself, in a sense. Some people would prefer to not label themselves, and that's okay, but some do, as it helps them explain how they feel and helps communicate this to other people.

I also realize could've responded to the original post better, sorry about that, as of course if one identifies as a woman, then they are one, regardless of how one presents themself.

tbh I wouldn't worry too much about it. i think society is so restrictive on people, just do you

• 10 months later...
tbh I wouldn't worry too much about it. i think society is so restrictive on people, just do you

but how do u be u if u dont know what you are?