This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate, Other

when your dad thinks it’s cool to make racist jokes

heymomifoundthewifitsgay    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate, Other

Click this notice to reveal the content.

i think life dealt me a short straw. anyway, i need to tell you some context. 

i’m a quarter Native American but no one really knows much about tribes and stuff like since my grandma’s parents abandoned her as a kid. 

anyway i look white as a loaf of wonder bread so yeah that’s what my parents put on the census. anyway i got kinda pissed at a Thai restaurant since the cooks refused to make it spicy since “i couldn’t handle it”, yet they gave other non-white customers the really spicy food. i know this seems random, but it’ll make sense.

anyway i was talking to my parents about it, and they were talking about how someone’s race affects stuff, and how normally white people are on top in society.

like ten minutes ago my dog, who has a black coat, okay i know everything is really random here, but my dad make a joke about how “oppressed” my dog was since his fur is black?????

my parents thought this was the most funny thing ever, which it wasn’t. i got pissed and said that’s not funny it really happens to people. they freaked the f out and started screaming about how i was being a white karen in that restaurant and how the joke was funny, and the logic was just not there.

please help me. 

14 hours ago, hellolife-am-i-okay said:

i think life dealt me a short straw. anyway, i need to tell you some context. 

i’m a quarter Native American but no one really knows much about tribes and stuff like since my grandma’s parents abandoned her as a kid. 

anyway i look white as a loaf of wonder bread so yeah that’s what my parents put on the census. anyway i got kinda pissed at a Thai restaurant since the cooks refused to make it spicy since “i couldn’t handle it”, yet they gave other non-white customers the really spicy food. i know this seems random, but it’ll make sense.

anyway i was talking to my parents about it, and they were talking about how someone’s race affects stuff, and how normally white people are on top in society.

like ten minutes ago my dog, who has a black coat, okay i know everything is really random here, but my dad make a joke about how “oppressed” my dog was since his fur is black?????

my parents thought this was the most funny thing ever, which it wasn’t. i got pissed and said that’s not funny it really happens to people. they freaked the f out and started screaming about how i was being a white karen in that restaurant and how the joke was funny, and the logic was just not there.

please help me. 

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear this was such a negative experience for you. It sounds like your feelings were completely invalidated. How are you feeling about this? I'm wondering, do you think they realised what they said was wrong and didn't like that you called them out on it? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

9 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear this was such a negative experience for you. It sounds like your feelings were completely invalidated. How are you feeling about this? I'm wondering, do you think they realised what they said was wrong and didn't like that you called them out on it? 

It’s hard to tell with my parents. Their temper just flares up randomly, and they probably thought it was the funniest thing ever. 

Hey there,

Ah, that's tricky. You definitely have a point, but it seems like they might not be ready to hear it yet. What do you think? I'm wondering, could there be a different way of calling them out?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e