This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Other

Okay so I'm gay and my parents and homophobic and believe in Islam I want to come out

Com    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Other

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Okay my parents since they are homophobic and Islam they just defend themself when someone brings it up that they are homophobic they say oh but its haram that's why without any actual inclusive thinking or just letting me speak at all I just can't go and tell them I need a strategy when I tell them because it'll go poorly and oh I'm in iraq where like 99% of people are homophobic and I will go to jail for 3 years just how do i tell them this do I fly to a new country or somethign I don't know i cant stay in the place at all I will be hunted down. 

Edited by Com

16 minutes ago, Com said:

Okay my parents since they are homophobic and Islam they just defend themself when someone brings it up that they are homophobic they say oh but its haram that's why without any actual inclusive thinking or just letting me speak at all I just can't go and tell them I need a strategy when I tell them because it'll go poorly and oh I'm in iraq where like 99% of people are homophobic and I will go to jail for 3 years just how do i tell them this do I fly to a new country or somethign I don't know i cant stay in the place at all I will be hunted down. 

Hello @Com

Thanks for asking us about this; you've come to the right place and we can help you. I'm one of the digital mentors here and it's my role to give advice and support to those who reach out to us. It sounds like coming out could put you in danger, and we always recommend that when there's a threat to safety by coming out, then it's best to wait until you can move away and support yourself. In your situation, it sounds like coming out when you're in a safe country would be best. What do you think? Also, can I ask, how are you feeling about all of this? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hi @Com. Like Monsoon said, I would recommend waiting until you're in a safe country where you can't be jailed or killed for being gay. I know it's stressful to be hiding your true self, but I don't want to put your life in danger by coming out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Com said:

Alright I'll just try to wait it out till I am 18 so I can take my passports and go to a place where I am safe

Hey,

Yeah, I think it's best to make sure you're in a safe country. How are you feeling about all of this by the way? What's your wellbeing like at the moment? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hi @Com! I just have a question for you, if you feel comfortable answering. Do you have over four years left before you turn 18?

On 1/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, Com said:

Alright I'll just try to wait it out till I am 18 so I can take my passports and go to a place where I am safe

You could actually get your passport at 16 because then it would be an adult passport and you can actually buy adult plane tickets at the age of 16 as well.

I only know this because I was looking into flights to Italy so that I could save up and have some time away from my suspected homphobic grandparents.