Does my dog hate me?

TheOriginalAxel    

I am writting this because I am honestly curious. Whenever I go to pick up my dog he growls at me as if to say "don't even think about it otherwise I will bite you" and I just don't know what to do becuase I also want to give him a bath (because he really needs one) but he won't let me pick him up. What should I do that will make him realise that I won't hurt him if I pick him up?

Hey there,

I think that some pets just don't like being picked up and that's completely separate from how they feel about you. It might be that he just doesn't like the sensation rather than thinking you'll hurt him. What do you think? Could you just give him a sponge bath in the garden so you don't have to actually pick him up, or guide him into a shallow paddling pool to bathe? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

I think that some pets just don't like being picked up and that's completely separate from how they feel about you. It might be that he just doesn't like the sensation rather than thinking you'll hurt him. What do you think? Could you just give him a sponge bath in the garden so you don't have to actually pick him up, or guide him into a shallow paddling pool to bathe? 

I have tried all of those methods but neither of them work (especially when we get the hose out because he tries to eat the water)

Hey there,

Could you maybe get a tub of water then to sponge him down and then rinse him off? Would that work? If you haven't already, maybe try treats at the same time to distract him and make it a positive experience!

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e