This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Abuse, Hate, Death, Suicide, Other

I'm thinking about coming out to my homophobic parents i'm Bi but I don't know what they'll say.

_Kai_ ย  ย 
Harper
Message added by Harper,

Please keep this thread to support-based messages.ย 

yeah I feel like when parents want you to be straight but ur already Gay, Lesbian, Bi, or Trans.(I know there is much more people could be but this stuff just came to my head) Then there like asking you to change ur skin color, stuff that cannot be changed to a persons liking.

Yeah I feel like when parents want you to be straight but ur already Gay, Lesbian, Bi, or Trans. (I know there is much more someone could be just that stuff came to my head first)Then they are like asking you to change ur skin color, something that cannot be changed to a persons liking.

Oh I just realized it posted twice XD

I told my dad, who has said many homophonic things in the past, that I engaged in some homosexual behavior and he took it very well. I think youโ€™ll be surprised by their response. I was. I think if you experience love from your parents regarding other areas of your life, then youโ€™ll experience it here. My dadโ€™s reaction was actually the opposite of what I expected. Instead of being disappointed in me he actually quote โ€œfelt terribleโ€ that I burdened myself for so long by not telling him.

• Like 4

I think that it really depends on the parents though. Of course, coming out to your parents lifts a lot of weight off your shoulders, but sometimes it may hurt more than it helps. For example, if your parents abuse you in any way, and you feel it isn't safe, I would advise not coming out. Also, unfortunately not all parents accept that this is who their child is. Like mine, for instance. They love me, but they put me in therapy to see if I could be "fixed" of my gender issues. (Spoiler : I couldn't) So really, it depends on the parents, and most people don't have issues with it.

Yeah it does definitely does lift weight off of ur shoulders just I am really happy that ur dad took it well Grianthedudewithsocialphobia, and dude I wish I could go to a therapy just so I can lift stress off of my shoulders.And I am very sorry that ur parents tried to "fix" you.( Actually they just wanted to change you to their liking which I hate how parents try to deny that their child is their true self).

8 hours ago, deoxyr_ said:

I think that it really depends on the parents though. Of course, coming out to your parents lifts a lot of weight off your shoulders, but sometimes it may hurt more than it helps. For example, if your parents abuse you in any way, and you feel it isn't safe, I would advise not coming out. Also, unfortunately not all parents accept that this is who their child is. Like mine, for instance. They love me, but they put me in therapy to see if I could be "fixed" of my gender issues. (Spoiler : I couldn't) So really, it depends on the parents, and most people don't have issues with it.

Hey,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm sorry they put you in therapy to 'fix' your gender; I cannot imagine how awful this must have been for you. Can I ask, are you still going to that therapy?ย 

• Like 2
  • Pride 1

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

On 3/7/2022 at 11:16 AM, deoxyr_ said:
On 3/6/2022 at 10:13 PM, XxhelloxX said:

My whole family is also Christian, and yeah I know how u feel about letting ur parents down because I am also Bi and Polyamorous, they only know about the Bi part but ya know the whole "Their all sinners" and the "Its just a phase" yeah. TvT

Yeah thing I some how told my parents that i'm gay and they don't really care they don't support me but they don't care with it turned out better then I expected thankfully.

ย 

Edited by Lonliality

Not anymore, after awhile they stopped forcing me to go. (about a year or so ago) The therapist was a old friend of my parents, and after I came out to them (parents) about being a questioning non-binary person, they scheduled some meetings with him. Overall, it wouldn't have been so bad if what he was saying didn't contradict my personal beliefs. He told me a bunch of things about how most transgender people are really just confused, and think they are trans because of experience(s) they had.ย  In essence, 'trans people are not valid because they were made that way by trauma' For example, he said that I didn't feel like my birth gender because of puberty and parental absence. Most of it was purely psychological, but still, it hurt to hear that from someone my parents trusted.

1 minute ago, deoxyr_ said:

Not anymore, after awhile they stopped forcing me to go. (about a year or so ago) The therapist was a old friend of my parents, and after I came out to them (parents) about being a questioning non-binary person, they scheduled some meetings with him. Overall, it wouldn't have been so bad if what he was saying didn't contradict my personal beliefs. He told me a bunch of things about how most transgender people are really just confused, and think they are trans because of experience(s) they had.ย  In essence, 'trans people are not valid because they were made that way by trauma' For example, he said that I didn't feel like my birth gender because of puberty and parental absence. Most of it was purely psychological, but still, it hurt to hear that from someone my parents trusted.

Nice

Yeah, I think it really depends on the therapist. I would love to go to therapy with someone who supports, and would talk about actualย  issues instead of trying to convince me to be cis. For some people, therapy is great. It's a really good place to get let go of anxiety, to talk about your mental state. But it's not for everyone.

• Pride 1

And I wanted to say that I told my parents that I'm gay they don't really care that much they don't support me but they don't care

ย 

1 minute ago, deoxyr_ said:

Yeah, I think it really depends on the therapist. I would love to go to therapy with someone who supports, and would talk about actualย  issues instead of trying to convince me to be cis. For some people, therapy is great. It's a really good place to get let go of anxiety, to talk about your mental state. But it's not for everyone.

I can definitely agreeย 

• Like 1

Same I would as well like to a therapy session with someone who supports and just someone I could trust to tell my issues, also I was hanging out with my grandma today (shes like 60) cuz she was lonely in her trailer so I went over and was hanging out with her and I asked what she thought about the whole LGBTQ+ community and she just said she would never be apart of it but said she would never be rude to them.So I tried to give a hint of me being in it but I think I was scared to so I kinda mumbled (talked quietly) and she didn't hear me...I am kinda thankful tho cuz I don't think I fully want to tell my other family members till I actually know for sure what I am.

• Like 1

Also I am glad that ur parents didn't react bad Lonliality, but at the same time I wish that they supported you when u told them that u were gay.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, deoxyr_ said:

Hey there. I've sent you a message to check in. I hope to hear back from you soon.ย 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

I would want that to but it's better then not getting excepted but my parents don't know that I want a boyfriend and not a girlfriend that's the thing here

Well I hope that you do find a bf thats just right for you Lonliality ^^.ย 

• Like 1

Your welcome I'm here if ya need to talk anytime ^^

18 hours ago, XxhelloxX said:

Your welcome I'm here if ya need to talk anytime ^^

thank you for the help but if i don't want help my self no one will

ย